true luck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WEEGEE

true luck

Unread postby WEEGEE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:59 am

i have posted this story before ,but it's time to post it again. most deer seasons are coming and the part time hunters are just getting started.
about 30 yrs. ago, the night before gun season was to open,here in Ohio.
i hear a knock at my door and here stands one of my buddies. he asked if i had a shotgun he could borrow ,so he could go deer hunting ,in the morning. he told me he was at the bar that night and every one was talking about deer hunting,and he got interested in going.
i told him someone else borrowed my shotgun earlier that week,and i didn't have another. well he leaves and just a while later he stops by to tell me his uncle had one he could borrow,and he was on his way, to get it.
i told him, he needed to get some "slugs" for it ,that was the only thing he could use. i got that"deer in the headlight look" from him.

about an hour later he knocks on the door again, hey my uncle gave me this to use. he handed me a single shot 410 and two slugs.
as i was shaking my head, i was telling him he would have to get very close before he shot any thing.
well the next question he asked,was where to go? i said, just go out to the river section and set in a fence row close to the river and stay all day.

next morning around 9 i hear some one pounding on my door. as i opened the door there stood the same guy with blood soaked face and hair. i looked down the road at the bridge thinking i would see his truck turned over or parts laying in the road.
you alright? do you need help? is your wife ok? noooooo iiiii need help!
you sure your alright you look like you have some head injuries. noooo i shot a deer and i need some help getting him.

so he starts telling me this unreal story about what happened that morning. i went down to the river like you said and set beside a tree by the fence row.i heard some thing behind me and this big buck jumped the fence and came toward me. iiiii didn't know what to do.
i thought he was going to attack me, like what happened, to that guy down in Columbus.
i didn't know where to shoot him ,soooooo i shot him in the eye!
he didn't fall down he just stood there so i jumped in the river and got to the other side ,so he couldn't get me.
what did you do next? well i went to the bridge and crossed the rr tracks and come back up the other side to get my gun back.
i kept the tree between me and him until i could get my gun again. i watched him for awhile and decided to jump on my gun and get another "bullet" so i could shoot him again. i got my gun and aimed it at him ,but he didn't move. i threw some sticks at him and he didn't move so i figured i must have shot him.
as we approached the scene ,here's what i saw.....appx a 150" -13 pt buck hanging in the v of an old apple tree. what the#$%%
how did he get in there?
well i didn't know what to do ,but i seen my dad kill hogs before so i did what he did...i slit his throat and tried to hang him in that tree. i did get the guts out of him, the best i could ,but i didn't have a rope so i tried to get him on my back to get him hung up there ,but i couldn't.

i'm looking at a guy that doesn't weigh a 100 lbs and dressed in carharts, cover in blood hair blood soaked and blood all over his face with big eyes!

well he did a number on that buck cut ear to ear,with only and little part of the guts out, and a perfect 1/2" hole about an inch below his eye.

three weeks later he was giving deer hunting lessons at the bar!!!!

close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
jmaas07
500 Club

Re: true luck

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:03 am

Haha wow, that's hilarious

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:13 am

wow and to think were in the woods with "hunters" like him hahahahaha good story, great laugh
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:17 am

Awesome! :lol:
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:22 am

Haha. Good laugh on that story. Thanks for sharing

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:35 am

Oh man that is good stuff right there.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:45 am

That's funny! Pro hunter after the first go

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:02 am

Great story.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:13 am

I needed that laugh!

And at the same time I feel blessed I had a dad who taught me.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:36 am

fun read
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:37 am

I love stories like that... you know they're true because there's no way someone could make that up!!

:lol:

Beginner's luck at its finest. Great story.
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:48 am

...oh by the way the taxi had a hard time mounting that head,because he almost cut it's head off.
when he got it back, his wife wouldn't let him bring it in his house.
several yrs. later i stopped in to see him and asked about the mount and he showed it to me. it was laying, in the back corner, of his garage.
i tried to get it from him ,but he was going to keep it. it was just about ruined by then.
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:22 am

Weegee you said that mount was in the back corner of his garage. You said it was all but ruined.

That deer got ruined from the start! The deer mangler! I've never heard of anyone killing a deer with a .410! I see kids use them for squirrels. I've seen a kid carry a .410 to try deer hunting but everyone knows he doesn't stand a chance. Weegee your friend is lengendary! The deadly eye shot was probably the best way to put one down with a single shot .410 and only 2 shells.

I'm in tears laughing about this story! Thanks for sharing weegee!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Wow.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Everyone is missing the point of the story. First time in is the best time in! Be mobile! And being a Crack shot with a .410 doesn't hurt either.

In all seriousness, hilarious story. Good read.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”