What Happened (Update)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: What Happened

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Tc I really feel for you! But like I stated in my 1st comment it looks forward and high.

What is confusing is the bucks head is turned far to his left at the shot. By the camera angle you can easily see his tail. I know your shot angle was different but probably pretty much broadside. At the hit he drops and swings his head forward. The nock goes totally out of sight low in the grass and back. Then swings up and forward again as he leaves. I believe you missed entering the rib cage. Possibly hit the far shoulder some how. Could he still die? It's always a possibility. As with most of us I never really stop looking for a hit animal.

Even with video it's still hard for all of us armchair quarterbacks to really know. Take all of the advise and also your actual experience as things happened and go with your gut. You'll make the right decision. Good luck!! With this situation and the rest of the season.

Chuck

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Were you standing or sitting? alot of times a shot from a sitting position will hit high because its harder to bend at the waist changing your form

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wiscoz7

Unread postby wiscoz7 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Is it possible for you to get a blood trailing dog? I know there is some info somewhere out there on people who provide this service, or maybe try and take your own or a buddies' dog?? It may be worth a shot, who knows?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:08 pm

stash59 wrote:Tc I really feel for you! But like I stated in my 1st comment it looks forward and high.

What is confusing is the bucks head is turned far to his left at the shot. By the camera angle you can easily see his tail. I know your shot angle was different but probably pretty much broadside. At the hit he drops and swings his head forward. The nock goes totally out of sight low in the grass and back. Then swings up and forward again as he leaves. I believe you missed entering the rib cage. Possibly hit the far shoulder some how. Could he still die? It's always a possibility. As with most of us I never really stop looking for a hit animal.

Even with video it's still hard for all of us armchair quarterbacks to really know. Take all of the advise and also your actual experience as things happened and go with your gut. You'll make the right decision. Good luck!! With this situation and the rest of the season.

Chuck

Thanks 8-)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:10 pm

sunset samurai wrote:Were you standing or sitting? alot of times a shot from a sitting position will hit high because its harder to bend at the waist changing your form

Sitting. I always try to shoot sitting and practice this way too. Helps me to say focused better. But I always bring my pin from the top down and often times squeeze off too early even when target shooting, so that could have been a thing.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:11 pm

wiscoz7 wrote:Is it possible for you to get a blood trailing dog? I know there is some info somewhere out there on people who provide this service, or maybe try and take your own or a buddies' dog?? It may be worth a shot, who knows?

I was unable to get anyone to come out.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:06 pm

What a bummer. Keep your chin up TC, it happens.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Very early yet, make the next one count! Always sucks to have something like that happen.

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:26 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
sunset samurai wrote:Were you standing or sitting? alot of times a shot from a sitting position will hit high because its harder to bend at the waist changing your form

Sitting. I always try to shoot sitting and practice this way too. Helps me to say focused better. But I always bring my pin from the top down and often times squeeze off too early even when target shooting, so that could have been a thing.

I hit quite a few deer high in the day from a seated position, I used to ALWAYS shoot sitting because I felt it was less movement to hide. I always thought hitting high was part of shooting from a stand back then. Now I try to stand or atleast crouch, at the very least if standing is too risky Ill try to draw aiming level then bring it dwn by bending at the waist, knock on wood my shots have improved since. Nice ambush, Keep your head up.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:27 pm

It did look high and back when I slowed the video clip down. Your set-up on him looked perfect, I hope you find him.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:38 am

PredatorTC wrote:

Hate to say it but that sounds a lot like target panic.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:23 am

Your description in the live thread of how you approached this buck was nothing short of impressive. Any chance you could do a quick write up of how you found and accessed this spot? You kayaked in from open water and walked through open cattails? that had to have been super tough and downright exhausting walking with a stand and camera equipment! A fatty like me would have just sank, made a ton of noise and just spooked everything away. Intense hunting.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:30 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:

Hate to say it but that sounds a lot like target panic.

I shoot complete opposite .....I bring my pins up ...I always have ...no one ever really thought me . I thought my self..
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:08 am

hunter_mike wrote:Your description in the live thread of how you approached this buck was nothing short of impressive. Any chance you could do a quick write up of how you found and accessed this spot? You kayaked in from open water and walked through open cattails? that had to have been super tough and downright exhausting walking with a stand and camera equipment! A fatty like me would have just sank, made a ton of noise and just spooked everything away. Intense hunting.

I would absolutely love to. Its going to be a bit before I can because im closing on a house tomorrow, but its a priority!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 am

Congrats on the new home!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”