rut hunting doe bedding on farm land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

rut hunting doe bedding on farm land

Unread postby rochester coops » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 pm

When the does are bedding on the downwind edge of a woodlot (edge meets cut corn), generally how will cruising bucks check them? There is probably 500 yds from the woodlot edge to the road. Will mature bucks generally stay inside the tree canopy or have you seen them cruise the field edge to check the does? The edge cover is pretty thick and if I set up at the field edge I probably won't be able to hit all the way to the transition inside the woods where it opens up into more mature trees. If I hunt the transition inside the woods where it opens up, I would be winded by bucks cruising the field edge. What have you seen and how do you hunt this? This woods doesn't see much archery pressure, then gets the hardest pounding around when gun season opens up here in NY.

Lockdown

Re: rut hunting doe bedding on farm land

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:46 pm

I would stay on the inside edge in the tree canopy. I don't think a buck (especially a big buck) will expose himself out in the open like that, even more so when a road is near. Not to say it would never happen.

Every situation is different, but from what you've described, I feel a buck cruising the inside edge of the thick cover knows that any does bedding in the thick field edge cover will probably get up and give away her presence. Any time I've ever watched a bedded deer, as soon as anything audible is detected, they stand up.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: rut hunting doe bedding on farm land

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Post up an areal of the property and where the does are bedding if you can.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”