What to do...?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

What to do...?

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:38 am

For almost 3 years...I've wanted to commit to the beast style. I can't get time to scout with work and family. Hardly ran cameras this year because the bucks really weren't there and the private is being logged off. Not a ton of gameland to hunt confidently. What would you experienced guys do if you just had no plan at all....?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

RidgeReaper

Re: What to do...?

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am

I always end up hunting the way I started out. Kind of wander in in the dark and pick a tree and sometimes I'm lucky but sometimes I see no deer for a week. Last year I scratched the surface of this style and saw deer every day except one all season which to me is very good. Should I just hunt leeward hills and or follow the wind and hunt where I predict a deer may bed?

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks man...yea Im always peeking at maps but for some reason I cant tell what good and bad sometimes as far as a place to go. I thought I was getting the hang of it but we shall see this year haha
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:52 am

burkhart wrote:Cyber scout and come up with a plan. Don't let it get u down. I don't do a lot of boot scouting. But topi and images can be enough,,,, hammer down!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Cyber scouting can be huge. Going in with a plan and setting up on a spot this way can be extremely successful. I like to pinpoint travel funnels near suspected bedding.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:10 am

My first few attempts at hunting a cyberscouted location were unsuccessful. Seeing it new and in person compared to a map or aerial photo caught me off guard.
The feeling that it's too thick or more water than expected will throw you a loop if you let it. It takes confidence to push on to the specific place that you chose to hunt. But....DO IT.
If you don't get out ahead of season at least memorize the areas you want to hunt. What two or three exact spots should be checked or hunted? Same approach to the second property and third etc.
Are you practicing with all your equipment so it won't slow you down? Time in the woods will be short so fiddling with your pack or stand should be all worked out ahead. Good luck.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:32 am

Yep cyber scout and go in blind, have a basic plan but be ready to change it if you find fresh sign that you want to setup on. Also keep a backup plan if things go wrong because it happens a lot going in blind. Don't get down on yourself, just explore and have fun. If you get on some bucks and find some good bedding areas it will be a huge confidence booster, if not keep on learning.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Just Do It..... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:39 am

Also, may be better dedicating this season to some on the ground scouting during the season. Again, make a plan, map some transitions/hills/likely bedding spots you want to check out, put your stand on your back, and check what is there now. It may mean pushing a little too far this year and blowing some hunts, but it should be great intel for the future.

I'm still working on building an inventory of spots locally, and plan on doing this a fair bit this year too, as I couldn't get to everything I wanted to scout last spring. I have cyber scouted most of the public within 30-40 miles of my house, and definitely plan on doing some blind sits scouting my way in a bunch this fall.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”