Morning hunts??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Morning hunts??

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:55 am

What do you bed hunters do in the morning??

We know the majority of the time they are back to bed before legal light...

I'm confused on what tactics should be used in the morning?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Morning hunts??

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:58 am

Sleep!!!!

Actually I spent the mornings scouting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 am

sleep, fish, golf, place bets on football games.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:40 pm

If you go to Best tactical threads there's at least one in there for hunting mornings. It goes in further detail of how andrae uses the moon chart and underfoot/overfoot to determine what mornings are most productive to hunt that gives the best possible chances of a buck returning late to his bed.

This will be my first season using these tactics as my only option to hunt is in the mornings. I never rule out or get discouraged about hunting mornings though because not only do I find them more productive during rut but every buck that I've ever killed besides one was arrowed in the morning during the first month of bow season

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:28 pm

When it comes to hunting mature bucks, chances go down that they'll get caught on their feet far from bed in the morning. To hunt them in their bedroom while they are trying to circle to wind the area you want to hunt is tough. I think that's the reason it just ain't as productive.

That said, big bucks catch arrows in the morning sometimes. Especially on low pressure ground. That's the great thing about hunting. You just can't be sure what will happen. So if you feel confident about a morning set up, get after it.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:46 pm

I really like hunting mornings. I have not hunted beast style in the mornings. I have killed several very nice bucks hunting mornings. I usually hunt from about 4-11 am then grab lunch and head to my afternoon stands. This season I will be saving my best spots for afternoon sits but I will be hunting every morning I can. Can't kill a buck while sleeping :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 am

Hunting season is open here. I basically guided all opening weekend. Got to our destination an hour and a half before first light and waited for a little light to go in. We went to hunt on the side of a draw that was used for bedding during a south wind. 6:30am we started hearing him rub in the draw. He must have been about 70 yards right behind the bend of the draw. We were close, very close but he was already in his bedding location well before anyone could see. We left quietly before thermals started and on the way down saw his tracks following a group of does.

If you want to hunt a buck bedding area in the morning wait for the right conditions and don't use a flashlight. Even then your chances are still slim.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:16 am

I have had good success hunting mornings early season but as others have suggested, the key is to do the hunts with the right conditions. I only pick a few mornings with really good conditions, the rest are better spent sleeping in unless you just want to be sitting in the woods. I think that is the main reason I have good success with mornings and most hunters don't seem to. I skip mornings with warm weather, mornings after full moon nights, or just stagnant unchanging weather patterns.

Setups need to be different too...as has been discussed on here before big bucks often enter bedding from the downwind side, the "J-hook." How they do that varies a lot case by case, in hill country I find the J hook seems to be pretty tight most of the time, so if I set up on whatever entrance trail is 30-50 yards downwind of the bedding that is good...most of the time.
Last edited by JoeRE on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:17 am

A lot depends on the situation. Remember not all bucks are in their beds before first light. That said if you have a pre set on a bed you can hunt in the morning. Carrying in to set up in the dark is very hard. I think that is why a lot of guys don't like it including myself. Just so much tougher in the dark for the hunter to navigate quietly, plus in the morning it is often very still and quite.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”