What broadhead do you use?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

attackone

Re: What broadhead do you use?

Unread postby attackone » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:06 am

i have been messing around with slick tricks mags and grizztricks the past few years but this year i will have swhackers and exdous in my quiver...think will be the first time i have hunted with a mechanical head but i like the design of them. I liked the slick tricks never had a issue but thought i would try something new this year. Hoping to test one out tomorrow in MD

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:51 am

100 grain muzzy 3 blade or thunderhead 3 blade. I have messed around with the rage heads and scrapped that idea after having fair to poor penetration in three cases.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:55 am

Another spitfire guy here. 4 of us have been using them for about 10 years maybe. We have never had one break or fail to open. They fly well. The downside is that they don't shoot through shoulders as well as a fixed blade in the event of a bad shot. The nice thing is that they are very safe. The blades are folded in so reduced risk of cutting a finger while handling the arrow. Also no o-rings to deal with. They also rebuild well. A properly placed shot results in pass thru.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:08 am

Rage Xtreme. Used to shoot fixed blades but lost a few deer with them. I'm aware it's shot placement but in real world hunting I've never had a perfect shot with no limbs/weeds to not deflect my shot. I've made bad shots on deer with rage broadheads and recover them.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:25 am

briar wrote:
I was always a guy to poo poo the idea of increased FOC but after this year of experimenting I will never go back. The difference it has made for my accuracy is something I cannot deny. We will see how this setup does on live game.

No PooPoo. A higher FOC allows the fletching to steer the arrow better and thus correct it's flight more effectively. That means greater accuracy and consistency. Higher FOC also allows the arrow to deposit energy more efficiently. That leads to greater penetration. More of the kinetic energy is stored in the front of the arrow - the part doing the penetration. That as opposed to energy stored in the rear of the arrow that is transferred through and somewhat absorbed by the spine of the shaft in a lower FOC arrow.

But you can have too much. Too high an FOC will cause your arrow to nose dive more while offering no increase in accuracy or penetration. Also more FOC makes your arrow more susceptible to being steered by cross winds making you less accurate. The general sweet spot is somewhere around 15% in my own personal - and I'm sure not scientific testing. But it can depend on the setup. Super fast bows can get away with more while still not having a huge gap between the pins.

I like the Muzzy 3 blade 100s. I also shoot the Magnus Snuffer SS. But I like the muzzy more. I like chisel points.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:57 am

Been using Ramcats for a few years now . They fly perfect for me . I really like the blood trails and the deer I shot haven't made it more than 75 yards with pass through shots . After inspecting the lungs , the Ramcats almost Shred through the lungs instead of a clean slice . Maybe it's from the pointed helical blades ... Seemed like much more damage .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:43 am

Almost forgot. Shot 8-9 deer with Magnus stingers. Penetration was great but not the blood trails I wanted, but most of them were level ground shots, so they generally ran a little before bleeding.

Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 am

Every deer I ever killed with a bow was taken with a Bear Super Razorhead - 145 grains. I have been hunting with them for over 30 years. I spin test them and sharpen them by hand, they can be honed to razor sharpness by hand and almost all of my shots (particularly over the past 15 years shooting a Mathews) have been buried in the dirt pass throughs. I have always shot them with the bleeder blade but they are increasingly hard to come by every year and are generally not salvagable after a shot. When I finally run out of bleeders I will probably continue to shoot the Bear Razorheads as a two blade head. I am just a fan of a razor sharp fixed blade broadhead. I have seen some of the blood trails and the damage done by some of the mechanical heads but I am still skeptical of them and haven't bought into them yet and really don't see myself going that direction.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:05 am

Muzzy 125 gr 3 blades. Been hunting with them for 20+ years and never had a long bloodtrail and never lost a deer shooting them. I have blown thru shoulders and busted leg bones and every blade looked as good as new. Never had a failure to this date.

I tried a 3 year experiment with NAP Spitfire's and Shockwave's. After wounding and not recovering 3 deer I will never ever shoot another mechanical blade.

Brett

Unread postby Brett » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:18 am

swhacker or grim reaper
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:39 am

Rage 2 blade. They aren't the longest lasting head, but I've head great results. I wouldn't use them if I shot a lower poundage bow though.

Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:00 pm

E72 wrote:Been using Ramcats for a few years now . They fly perfect for me . I really like the blood trails and the deer I shot haven't made it more than 75 yards with pass through shots . After inspecting the lungs , the Ramcats almost Shred through the lungs instead of a clean slice . Maybe it's from the pointed helical blades ... Seemed like much more damage .

I use them as well. They have done a great job for me. They fly true with my field points and the deer I shot last year made it about 40 yards. Hit like a RAM cut like a CAT
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Justin85 wrote:Almost forgot. Shot 8-9 deer with Magnus stingers. Penetration was great but not the blood trails I wanted, but most of them were level ground shots, so they generally ran a little before bleeding.

I killed a few does with Stingers ... Good cut on contact BH. Accurate heads too. My 12 year old son will be using a compound for the first time . He's pulling the 40 # Ohio minimum. I have him set up with 4 blade Magnus Buzzcuts .

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Ive been shooting rage 2 blade the last 6 yrs and havent lost a deer yet. Ill keep using them until i start seeing different results. There are alot of good broadheads out there today. In the end you still need to practice and make good shots regardless of the broadhead you shoot.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Grim Reapers for the last five deer. Less than 150 yards recoveries. I shot a lot of different broadheads over the last 25 years. Would not mind shooting any of them again.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”