Question about when to hang a stand.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Question about when to hang a stand.

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Yessir....to each their own...I don't preach my ways and don't expect them to preach there's...

In PA its pretty bad with the rifle crowd...deer camps are big here...we had a here reduction effort put in place to help the deer herd in the last 10-15 years...naturally there's less deer than there once was....we also lost some hunters due to aging fellas and youth just aren't into it anymore....most every state is seeing a decline...

Anyways...with the deer camp tradition comes hunting spot tradition...same ole stand or stump they sat on forever...many sat their with dad and/or grandpa. I get it...but. Don't complain there aren't any deer...if you haven't seen deer there in a few years you can't do the same thing over and over and expect new results...

But that's what happens..they goto the same spot which they've sag forever and they don't see anything just like the year prior...

Me? I see more deer on public land and public land up north where most the complaints come from than I do on private land and farmland where I live...

Literally I've had opening days I've seen over 100 deer..you could combine the other 8-10 guys at camp and not get 100 deer seen...they didn't believe me...but I am mobile and hunt the deer not my tree...they all head out to the same stump and don't see much...they all quit for lunch and I stay in the woods...

Everyone has their own way....

I am striving to get to the point where any day of the season from late sept-late Jan I can set out and have a shot at the biggest bucks around. Regardless of weather, time of year etc...I learn new tricks every time I go out...that's what its about...learning...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Very cool. Sounds like myself lol, same tree past 3 seasons since I bought my home. I saw does the first 2 yrs, and last year had the privilege to see a nice 8 pointer, and was fortunate enough to harvest him. Speaking if, I just had an amazing bowl of chili from him! Anyways, after 17 yrs of hunting and finally seeing a big buck while hunting, I am extremely interested in hearing others ways of hunting. I'm just restating what I have already said.

What region of PA are you in? I am right on the PA border in NY, by the Delaware river.

People on my local area seem to realize what is realistic out of a buck due to food, etc, while guys I work with hunt in an area an hour away from where I hunt, and they have farm fields that grow large antlers, and numerous bucks of larger than the large that I'd see in my hunting area. I'll show those guys a GREAT deer in my area, and they will say something along the lines of, "hes good, but hes a cute young fella", drives me nuts, lol.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Hang and hunt the same day, keep the element of surprise in your favour :D
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:30 am

I keep a journal and I am amazed at how much more successful I was the first time I hung a stand and hunted immediately. It was like a revelation....

However, its much EASIER and you definitely sweat less hunting pre-hung stands. I used to go the easy route, but I finally came to the realization that the extra work is worth the extra rewards. We only get so many days every year to hunt. Might as well make the most of them...
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”