where do you sit in a funnel?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

where do you sit in a funnel?

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:04 pm

lets say you are a mature buck. how would you cross through a 70 yard funnel? Are you gonna travel in the middle or near the very downwind side? I ask this because if I sit in the middle I can almost shoot the entire thing with my bow. This particular funnel has a pond on one side and creek with deep ditches on the other. the deer seem to tent to hug the pond which is on the north side and my buck last year did the same. however, i saw some very large tracks on the downwind side of the funnel (if it was a nw/n wind). what would you do and waht do you think a buck would do? Personally I tend to think he would favor the downwind edge more than the center of a funnel but I am not sure. my plan is to sit in the middle of the funnel and if a mature buck comes near the downwind side-i'll deflate his lungs before he gets my funk...What have been your observations?

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: where do you sit in a funnel?

Unread postby Casper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I would say your thinking is pretty good. Just make sure you can get a shot before he winds you.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:47 pm

I would hunt the side that has the thickest cover regardless of wind .But if that happens to be the downwind side than even better .
dbl lung

Unread postby dbl lung » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:32 am

If the middle grants you the greatest shooting range then sit the middle. Don't let tracks dictate where the stand goes if will be able to shoot to where they are at anyway.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:03 am

I would tend to drift toward the thicker cover or best shooting options to cover the whole thing. A buck on his own might stick to thicker cover but a buck following a doe might cross anywhere she does.
GBTG

Unread postby GBTG » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 am

What headgear said definite difference between rut funnel hunting and non-rut funnel hunting. I've out thunk myself on that one before and watched the doe and buck go thru the obvious spot during the rut while I was tucked back in the cover.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:28 am

Can you shoot both crossings from the downwind side of them? If so I would want to be on the downwind side of both trails. If not you may have the best option by being in the middle.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:39 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Can you shoot both crossings from the downwind side of them? If so I would want to be on the downwind side of both trails. If not you may have the best option by being in the middle.

Yes, what he said.

I think bucks are lazy, they're going to follow the easiest path. In a funnel they're either going to stick to cover or get across it fast regardless of wind. It's a deer, not some super smart being. They won't scrutinize the area and purposefully go to the downwind side, they're going to cross it quickly as possible. If he's with a doe then he's going to follow her no matter what unless she's running, then he's just going to keep up. If he's by himself he'll stick inside or next to the cover first, get across it fast second. If it were me I'd stick next to the thick stuff when the wind permits other wise set up a ways off (still in the funnel) and cover the downwind side of it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 am

muddy wrote:
Wrinkleneck wrote:Can you shoot both crossings from the downwind side of them? If so I would want to be on the downwind side of both trails. If not you may have the best option by being in the middle.

Yes, what he said.

I think bucks are lazy, they're going to follow the easiest path. In a funnel they're either going to stick to cover or get across it fast regardless of wind. It's a deer, not some super smart being. They won't scrutinize the area and purposefully go to the downwind side, they're going to cross it quickly as possible. If he's with a doe then he's going to follow her no matter what unless she's running, then he's just going to keep up. If he's by himself he'll stick inside or next to the cover first, get across it fast second. If it were me I'd stick next to the thick stuff when the wind permits other wise set up a ways off (still in the funnel) and cover the downwind side of it.

X3
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 am

the funnel is open timber. i think i'll favor the downwind edge a little more than last year which might make some shots longer but i'll cross less deer trails. thanks for all the responses

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”