Hunting property pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JDS

Hunting property pressure

Unread postby JDS » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:08 pm

I have posted this else where on a local forum but I thought I would post here too so I could get you guys thoughts. I do have a lease I can hunt but that is 2.5 hrs away where this property is 5 mins away.

I hunt a 400 acre property. It has 50-80 acres of ag soy beans. It has a couple creeks and a bunch of hills. The remaining acreage is probably split evenly between dense wood and old pastures meaning they haven't had cattle on them in 5 plus years and are just bush hogged each year. This year we didn't clear them by hogging we only cut strips. My question is how would you hunt a piece of property like this when there are only 6 of us that hunt it but I know that at least one of the other 5 are in at least an hour every day. This property doesn't get a break and there are a couple of hunters who think if its brown its down. It has been at least 4 years since a really good buck has been taken off of it and those were due mostly to luck such as walking in and sitting on the ground against a tree and 15 mins later a 10 pointer walks out 30yds away, but there has been at least 3 nice bucks caught on trail cams over the last 2 months this year.

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Hunting property pressure

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Are there areas where the other guys never go? If so, that's where I would start.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JDS

Unread postby JDS » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Wlog wrote:Are there areas where the other guys never go? If so, that's where I would start.

Yes most of the wooded area. Very little visibility in most of it as it was logged a few years back and it is THICK. There are a couple of spots I have found on GE and topo that I think will be good and plan to start there. Just wasn't sure how other hunters would approach a scenario like this. thanks

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:53 am

Start crossing off areas on that map that you know guys hunt, then focus on the rest. With those hills I am sure you can find good bottlenecks across ravines and such to set up on. Ravines might offer good entry and exit routes too. The bucks will be bedding where no one goes probably on some of those smaller points. Hunt from the ground if necessary. From what you describe I think it looks like a good area. If the pressure is concentrated around the fields - well that's no pressure at all to a big buck.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:27 am

I'd write off hunting the fields for big deer. If circle everywhere they hunt and basically write off anything within 200 yards. 400 acres will have multiple new bucks showing and leaving during and around the rut.. The thicker, steeper, and farther from ppl the better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”