mausers marsh saga

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

mausers marsh saga

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:41 pm

ok....same buck or not???

i have 800ish pics...i have more 1.5yo bucks than i can keep count of...does and fawns and fox and coyotes and a crazy giant bird..i have quickly gone through most of the pics...so far thats the only "big" buck that i see right now....i dont know what to think....

ok...i know what to think...what in the world is between his legs???!?!?!?!

what do you think he'll score this year??

hes dead is he walks by me...i havent studied the pics..i have another card i just pulled to look at yet...sometimes he looks big others i dont know..angle and velvet play tricks..

its gotta be him...im only seeing one big set of tracks..they look like his did last winter...ive literally been keeping tabs on him since january...

his tracks in the winter and all summer exit the swamp RIGHT where he is in these pics....i have GPS points on my phone and GPS there....and have maps i drew up on the PC depicting it...nice to see it with my eyes...here he is...same buck if you look between the legs.....

no idea how my camera triggered...thats borderline bow range...its the ONLY time it triggered by deer that far out...i have pics of other deer in the back ground of other deer pics at that crossing...but cant tell what they are at night..

that makes me believe it is "my" buck...hes there where the tracks have always exited the swamp..

i SHOULD have had my camera there the entire time but i didnt like the 3 tree options....i hung it there today on a whim....my whim was right...well...my whim was his tracks there and fresh...all summer its been dry and hard to tell for sure...finally get wet and he came through...

makes me wonder just how far into the marsh i gotta go...

before the marsh is 100yds or so of tall grass, brush, small trees etc...im thinking i can "play it safe" and setup off that trail and see if i cant kill him out there early...if he doesnt come by it should still work as somewhat of an observation....but..same token if im gunna burn a bridge i might as well set it on fire right?

thoughts?

im excited i have a ton of deer on that card pull...a lot of daylight pics...the marsh is looking promising...even though so far thats the only shooter ive seen...could possibly be more pics i didnt see yet...but i think i glanced over the majority of them..

mauser06
500 Club

Re: mausers marsh saga

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:45 am

Biggest buck I got..have a few more pics of deer at that far crossing...can't tell if they are him or not....

Planning to be in the Marsh opening evening...I'd smoke him and be happy given the chance...

I'm not convinced it's him or it isn't him...if its not I've been tracking the wrong buck and have a bigger one out there somewhere...which is possible...

Hernia or whatever it is could messed with his antler growth a little bit too...

I can't believe the 1.5yo bucks...the only one that might be 2.5yo is a 14" 4 point...I don't know where the bigger bucks are...i can't even count the small bucks...atleast a half dozen or so...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:18 am

I would vote same buck. Your only seeing one big track and only have one big buck on camera. Im not the greatest at scoring. I would say 115". Just out of curiosity, what state are you in? Your deer herd sounds alot like my home state of Michigan.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:23 am

Looks like that buck has elephantiasis in the gentials....

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:34 am

hawthorn, its Pennsylvania...i lived/worked in michigan for 2 years...Leelanau County...id say its similar...we have antler restrictions and reduced the herd greatly...we have some nice bucks and age structure has gotten better...and buck to doe ratio is awesome now...

this spot is weird...i tried counting the small bucks and theres a ton of them...not anything else big though...

there is 2 corn fields that are on the edge of the marsh in this area...the only 2 butting upto the marsh in a pretty good distance...my camera was on the tree line between the 2...behind the camera is the other field..thats where the tracks inter the marsh...my field is where they exit the marsh...

the rack has the same general shape...he lost a point..

he is a decent distance from the camera which makes him look a little different than if he was closer...looking at his ears he is atleast 16" inside...the injury/illness may have kept him from putting on the antler inches...

i think it looks bigger in the pics of him at a distance....i hope it doesnt kill him...id like to do that myself! ive never put so much time into a deer....i put my heart into it...i got my truck stuck because the snow on the roads was that deep and i was out there in the marsh scouting...checked cameras when snow was up over my waist and temps were below zero...then kept tabs on the tracks on the fields...he has i different curve to his feet...i know hes the same buck ive been tracking...but did i track the wrong buck? is the winter buck bigger and bedding elsewhere? guess i will never know for sure...
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:17 am

I'm not sure its the same. The recent buck has main beams that seem to curve upwards more and it lost a point on the left side. I'd say once the velvet comes off, he'll be around 100".

If you have a fool proof entrance and exit, I'd say its definitely worth a sit the first week to see if you can catch him before dark heading to the crops.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 am

Now that's a set of balls!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:30 am

SneakyHunter wrote:I'm not sure its the same. The recent buck has main beams that seem to curve upwards more and it lost a point on the left side. I'd say once the velvet comes off, he'll be around 100".

If you have a fool proof entrance and exit, I'd say its definitely worth a sit the first week to see if you can catch him before dark heading to the crops.

I'd have to agree with the main beam being different for sure.
Thats a bad looking cyst on him!
I've seen a few deer with cysts like that.
Never shot one though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:46 am

I agree the buck lost a point...overall rack has the same general appearance...I don't see anything completely different...I can't convince myself one way or another...

I showed him to a friend that is a vet...she leans towards a testical issue...I think it's too far forward and is a cyst or hernia.

I really think I'm going after him the first evening if wind is right...the deer are clearly very comfortable there even in the day...I have nearly as many day pics as night pics...I can hunt closer to the field and not intrude on his bed yet...

The field edge is clearly easy walking access for me..its like that clear to the truck..I can sneak right in there. I think it's worth trying and I can get an observation sit out of it if nothing else without intruding on the bedding area...

I'm excited. Even if that's the only shooter I have pics on...the rut should be stupid crazy with all those little bucks and the lack of doe lol...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”