WI Bow License 2015 questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fauxfly

WI Bow License 2015 questions

Unread postby fauxfly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 am

Hey guys

I read the rule book the other day and am still a little unsure how this should go... I understand the buck part of the license - any DMU, any county, public/private.

My question is this - if I state my original county on the tag as Dunn, and public land, what do I need to do to hunt over in Wood county a few weeks later on private??? Am I looking at two doe tags here - I know the rule book says state the DMU, county, and type of land - what if I want more than one type though - what the heck is the "undecided" part of the tag thats 2 or 3 dollars - - - - any help??

Thanks!

rancid crabtree

Re: WI Bow License 2015 questions

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:10 am

When you buy your gun deer and/or archery deer or crossbow deer hunting license you will be issued one “free” antlerless tag good in any farmland unit (that tag would be good in Wood County) The county specific doe tag would only be good in Dunn County. Use your “free” tag in Wood County. If still available, you may buy an additional antlerless tag for the county of your choice and specify if public or private.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 am

You are definitely looking at multiple tags. I got two free ones with my conservation patron license. I specified one as private and one ad public in my county of residence. If I want to shoot a doe on public land in Dane County this weekend I'll need to but a Dane public tag. One tag for each county/land type combination. There are no more "universal" doe tags. The small fee allows you to make this decision later but you still have to make that decision before you head into the woods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:23 am

Now just gonna play devils advocate here, one marsh i hunt is located in 3 different counties without any "real" boundary markers showing the county lines inside the swamp. How would they know that you shot it in X county compared to Y or Z county? I know why theyre doing this but how well are people going to cooperate with this?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:07 am

You'll always have dishonest people. Most people in the middle of large marshes/woods know the map well. Many carry GPS and smartphones showing their exact location. Really no different than the days when WI had many, many more management zones.

Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:59 am

rancid crabtree wrote:When you buy your gun deer and/or archery deer or crossbow deer hunting license you will be issued one “free” antlerless tag good in any farmland unit (that tag would be good in Wood County) The county specific doe tag would only be good in Dunn County. Use your “free” tag in Wood County. If still available, you may buy an additional antlerless tag for the county of your choice and specify if public or private.

When I bought my license I got a buck license good for anywhere in the state, and 1 antlerless tag that is county and private/public specific. Was I supposed to receive an antlerless tag good for any farmland unit?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:03 am

I believe you have to designate where the free anterless farmland tag is to be used (either public or private)

Primetime41 wrote:
rancid crabtree wrote:When you buy your gun deer and/or archery deer or crossbow deer hunting license you will be issued one “free” antlerless tag good in any farmland unit (that tag would be good in Wood County) The county specific doe tag would only be good in Dunn County. Use your “free” tag in Wood County. If still available, you may buy an additional antlerless tag for the county of your choice and specify if public or private.

When I bought my license I got a buck license good for anywhere in the state, and 1 antlerless tag that is county and private/public specific. Was I supposed to receive an antlerless tag good for any farmland unit?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:17 am

Primetime41 wrote:

No universal doe tags. County and land type needs to be declared.

Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:00 am

Jeff G wrote:I believe you have to designate where the free anterless farmland tag is to be used (either public or private)

Primetime41 wrote:

You receive one antler less deer tag with the purchase of bow license and you receive one antler less tag with gun license. Each antler less tag u receive you have to specify which county you will be using it for and if it is public or private. The antler less tags are not bow/gun specific so for example-Hunter A buys a bow and a gun deer license for 2015 season he gets two antler less tags. Hunter A could technically shoot two antler less deer with his bow as long as each is taken in area that they are designated for. Hope that wasn't confusing and maybe clears things up a bit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:11 am

thats how i interpret it :D

Bheckel8 wrote:
Jeff G wrote:I believe you have to designate where the free anterless farmland tag is to be used (either public or private)

Primetime41 wrote:

You receive one antler less deer tag with the purchase of bow license and you receive one antler less tag with gun license. Each antler less tag u receive you have to specify which county you will be using it for and if it is public or private. The antler less tags are not bow/gun specific so for example-Hunter A buys a bow and a gun deer license for 2015 season he gets two antler less tags. Hunter A could technically shoot two antler less deer with his bow as long as each is taken in area that they are designated for. Hope that wasn't confusing and maybe clears things up a bit.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:56 am

U have to designate public or private and the county for the free tag also.

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:08 am

This bummed me out. I hunt public and private in 2-3 counties so selecting a specific one for my doe kinda stunk, especially being an out of stater with not much time. Is there a quota then?? I guess I just wonder why it has to be that specific.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:01 am

U can buy extra doe tags in lots of counties.out of staters pay 20$ residents pay 12 dnr has lists of what r available

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:18 am

tim wrote:dnr has lists of what r available

ah, so there must be a quota then.... i'll check it out.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Many counties sold out quickly even on private.

The person who said you could declare a different tag for your gun license, thanks! I will declare that one for use on private in my county.

Last question. What are the rules regarding the "metro" units. Do they still offer multiple tags, or are they purchased the same as all other doe bonus tags?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”