Acorns are dropping

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PUBLICbowhunter

Acorns are dropping

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:52 am

Everyone around has been noticing their field edge cameras have gone from seeing good activity at last light to now everything happen at 2 or 3 am. I think a major cause of this is due to acorns dropping earlier this year. Though I am not prepared to jump into the woods and try to find the hot oak trees. I feel like my best bet for opening weekend is sneak in on a long ridge (pictured on the right next to corn) and set up next to a producing red or white oak near one of there bedding areas. In hopes that they will hit the oak before making there way up to the field. If anyone could give me any good advice on a hunting acorns or how to change up my strategy of HOW TO SET UP please speak your mind

cdeam

Re: Acorns are dropping

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:17 am

Go in at 1 or 2 pm. Move slow. Play the wind from the bedding area. Approach suspected oak slowly and quietly. Set up where you have a shot to the trail you suspect he uses to get from his bed to his favorite snack. Wait til you have the right wind and a good moon.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:22 am

I think you are 100% correct on the acorns... camera and spotting scope sightings for me have fallen off a cliff! Nothing on fresh cut alfalfa... nothing on beans = one thing! Acorns
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:58 am

Really hot here I think the deer in general are staying in the shade. That is also where the acorns are. My sightings have been minimal during this last blast of heat.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:38 am

Burr oaks are dropping here. Deer are on them. Field sightings have gone to zero.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:44 am

Good observation! My neighbor killed two does last weekend sitting a field edge between a bean field and a tree nursery. He told me saw many others hitting the beans also. Last evening and this AM he saw nothing sitting a similiar stand about a mile away. After sitting a couple hours this AM, he stepped into the woods to check a stand he had in there from last season and the woods blew up with deer. He told me acorns were everywhere. BTW, he is hunting/killing under a nuisance tag here in IL.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”