Buck Growl ?s

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Buck Growl ?s

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

I was out Friday morning and Iam pretty sure I heard a buck growl.It happened before first light and Iam pretty sure the deer was not by itself.It almost sounded like a beller.Like a dominant cow telling another cow get away from my food or get away from me. My questions are why do they do it and who does it? Is it all bucks or only mature bucks? I hope it wasn't a cow out in the woods!! :lol:

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Buck Growl ?s

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Back In 2008 on an evening hunt I heard a buck do It 3 to 4 times. To me this growl sound was a fast aggressive grunt. The buck that did It was a 2.5 year old. Every time he'd get real close to the doe he was chasing he'd let out a fast deep grunt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:24 pm

In my opinion "buck growl" is an aggressive grunt. The name is great if your trying to market a call. But really to me its just a grunt that is a little louder and longer in duration that a buck does when he is frustrated at a doe or competing buck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 pm

The buck I saw tonight did a long drawn out grunt right when he started to chase a doe he saw. I guess it sounded like a growl but this buck was far from being mature. :?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:34 pm

The growl, to me, is aptly named. Sure its basically an aggressive grunt but when I hear bucks growl/roar it sounded like a dinosaur coming to me. I've heard dinks roar, I've heard mature 5 1/2 year olds roar, all sounds the same, like a dinosaur. I did some loud aggressive roaring/growling during my rattling sequence yesterday.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:03 pm

i hear the growl quite often while hunting latley...seems they do it when the first does come into heat or if they are competing for does...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 pm

muddy wrote:The growl, to me, is aptly named. Sure its basically an aggressive grunt but when I hear bucks growl/roar it sounded like a dinosaur coming to me. I've heard dinks roar, I've heard mature 5 1/2 year olds roar, all sounds the same, like a dinosaur. I did some loud aggressive roaring/growling during my rattling sequence yesterday.

Agree with Muddy, not that I heard it a ton it was definently a different sound than an average grunt.

Dinorsaur roar? Never heard one of those before.....watching too many kids show Muddy? 8-) :)
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 am

I heard this one time. There were several small bucks and one good buck all chasing a doe around a small thicket. A little buck took off after the doe when she busted into a bean field , thats when the older buck let out a "roar", as he followed behind them. They were at least 80 to 100 yards away and it was loud enough that it startled me. Haha.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:14 am

I have heard the "Growl" but about 20 years ago a guy who is friends with my Dad and Uncle who hunted with us swears to this day he heard and seen a buck do only what he can describe as a bark...LOL. Of course we looked at him like he was crazy but he spent the rest of the day singing "Have you ever heard a deer barking...well I have" Ken is a goofball and a dear old friend I miss those days.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 am

I would have to agree with Muddy about that dinosour roar. Saturday night I had a slob behind a doe at 35 yards and he stuck his neck straight out and roared. this is the first time I heard this but it echoed through the swamp. Their was also a doe that was estroes bleeting about 30 times but he wasn't with that one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”