Early season hunting strategy, and success rate

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Re: Early season hunting strategy, and success rate

Unread postby BHC » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Yes on goin in aggressively and trusting your scouting. However I have to have a reason to believe a target buck is there. In my case it's game cameras. There's no glassine or observing unless you wanna do it from 75 yrds.. That's to close, so cameras are my best option. I have so e very good spots and beds to hunt that I don't have a target buck near this yr and likely will not hunt them.

If you have nothing to go on except post season scouting go for it! You have nothing to lose. IMO the first week of archery for me is my best odds at my target buck, no doubt about it! Second best is peak rut... Those two one week at stretches I wanna know with a good amount of certainty that I'm close to him when I set up, the rut is tougher to do that. The rest of the time you gotta be really close to catch him in daylight....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bigburner

Re: Early season hunting strategy, and success rate

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:16 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:One thing I will add is it gets tougher earlier in some parts. When I spent a lot of time in Ontario it seemed like pattern shifted in mid september. In northern WI, it seems like late September. Southern WI early October. I don't have enough experience south of WI to comment the changes farther south.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Definitely happens in the mid-Atlantic right after velvet shed. 99% of the bucks are hard horned by 9/15. by 10/1 they are rubbing like crazy and scraping. It happens that fast here. That's when that nice buck that was bedded on the neighbors farm comes back b/c he and his big friend broke up and parted ways. I actually look forward to it. I hit the beds really hard starting then last season and it got fun seeing allot of bucks and being able to pass up on the smaller ones. I'm stoked about going back to those spots this year under similar conditions and see if I worked out any issues and see if I can hunt them better.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”