In treestand setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

In treestand setup

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:49 am

Curious as to how everyone sets up in the tree...what you take, binos, rangefinder, do you use an in stand bow holder or a screw in the tree type hanger, packs, rattling horns, grunt calls, if any of that stuff..

Here is my typical setup which is weather dependent...I may take an extra jacket if cold or change of shirt if hot and sweaty. Also, most of my sets are semi-presets in that I have set up the tree with either screw in steps or using my sticks or for climber depending...I use the climber as little as possible. I usually bring binos, rangefinder, water and a grunt call (seldom use but bring anyway). In the preset trees I have a screw in tree hanger "T"s in the various trees (you get 3 packs for like 3 bucks) and just attach the tree hanger to that (much easier than screwing directly into tree) and hang binos and range finder...I also try to have pre-cut some branches to stick in the stand and on the tree hanger for additional cover to break up my outline at foot and head level. I normally hold my bow (with Thumb release attached) but sometimes will hang it on long sits...I never liked not having it immediately available. I normally store my pack under my seat...I don't like having it hang on the tree as I think it sticks out and is unnatural of course. I use the Molle straps...I either bungee them tight to the stand or if possible will insert a branch with leaves to break up the outline some. I also have attached artificial leaves to the straps which helps too.

Another thing I am trying this year is I will attach artificial oak leaves to my bow, hat, arms, legs to break up the outline...maybe too much?? I dunno, I think every little bit helps. It seems to be possible to do this without any noise.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
hunter10
500 Club

Re: In treestand setup

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:19 am

Years past i feel like i was bringing too much gear on the hunt making myself tired by the time i got up the tree. Now whether it is climber or hangon/sticks I bring a fanny pack with license, grunt call,phone, bow rope, range finder, small binos and a T hook you are referring to. Come later when it gets cold i swap my fanny pack for a hand muff with front pocket for the above gear. Besides that, I bring my bow/release and even if its cold I usually tie my jacket to the stand on back and dont put it on until im at the tree. I usually have a couple hand warmers too. Recently picked up the arctic sheild boot covers more to keep my brother in stand longer.
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:29 am

I try to go as minimalistic as possible.... I bring my backpack mainly because it holds the camera arm well and helps spread the weight out. Other than that, I bring my video equipment, grunt tube, pull rope, a couple extra hangers and my rangefinder.

I only bring stuff that I HAVE to have and try to cut as much dead weight as possible. Each item doesn't weight much, but it sure does add up!
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Bino's, Range finder, grunt call, bow/equipment hangers, milkweed, compass, phone and water, all in my fanny pack. Also planning on self filming more this year so camera arm and video camera :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:44 pm

On my right:
Camera arm
Quiver

On my left:
Pack (mostly empty once set up)
Bow (in third hand bow holder)

Above:
Second Angle Camera
Maybe an Ozonics :shifty:

Right Jacket Pocket:
Rangefinder
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:On my right:
Camera arm
Quiver

On my left:

Above:
Second Angle Camera

Right Jacket Pocket:
Rangefinder

How far do you hike in with all the gear, on avg?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:54 pm

I tighten my Alice pack straps before climbing in the stand & wrap the excess so nothing is hanging. Thermacell stays strapped to the back left corner of my stand. My pull rope is in my lowest left pocket of my vest. I lower, hook my bow & pull it up. Put my release on that stays strapped to the bow. I hold my bow laying across my legs. Phone is in my upper left chest zipper pocket. Ice breaker full of milkweed is in flip top pocket above phone. Range finder lower right pocket. Quiver hangs to my right off my seat.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:12 pm

tmarbut wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:On my right:
Camera arm
Quiver

On my left:

Above:
Second Angle Camera

Right Jacket Pocket:
Rangefinder

How far do you hike in with all the gear, on avg?

1.2 miles on average. A few over 2 miles. Many under a half mile. It isn't as bad as it looks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:50 pm

If I use my climber, hang with sticks or preset stands what I carry never changes. Pack with water,grunt tube, knife, bow rope, bow hanger, ever calm scent stick, extra release, safety rope, can call, small candy bars, sd cards, 2 go pros, camera arm, power packs, range finder, cell phone, binos. All day sits I ad a book n iPad.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 pm

I don't know how you guys do it without food. I usually have at least 2 granola bars, 2 PB & J sandwiches, some fruit - like an apple or two and water. Aside from that I have a couple of knives and gloves for field dressing, grunt call, compass, GPS, cell phone, bow hanger, TP (just in case I need to drop a deuce), hunting license and pen, license holder with bobby pin (to attach tag to deer after harvest). I also bring a home made scent killer spray (baking soda, distilled water, and hydrogen peroxide). Headlamp and a backup flashlight. That's how I roll.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”