Does one buck tag for bow change your strategy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckyHunter13

Does one buck tag for bow change your strategy?

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:17 am

With Wisconsin losing the earn a buck this year, I've been wondering how the serial killers on here will approach the season. I don't think I'd do well with tagging out opening week and packing my gear up for the year. Not that I wouldn't be ecstatic, but it would be slightly anticlimactic. Premature at the very least.

Will you hunt less or only in ideal conditions?
Will you go out of state if you close the deal early?
Will you pass on a deer you might shoot in other years?

Or you only hunt shooters, and they all present unique challenges, and you already only hunt in near-ideal conditions, so nothing changes except being more open to the idea of traveling?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

pitz0022

Re: Does one buck tag for bow change your strategy?

Unread postby pitz0022 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:34 am

I am in MN but we are limited to one deer. A few zones offer bonus does.

If I fill my tag early I will either go hunt a bonus zone or keep hunting my plan but armed with a camera instead of a bow and do much more scouting than I would otherwise do.

I have a lot of spots to prove or figure out this year so in a sense I am hunting for the future.

I think party hunting is allowed in MN so maybe one of our guys who just wants meat in the freezer would let me fill a tag if I happened to have two chances at a mature buck in one season ? That would probably get expensive though as I decided I'm not shooting a buck unless it is worthy of going on the wall.

I'll worry about that when I get there. I have a feeling I'm going to be taking a doe towards the end if the season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:37 am

Definitely not limited to Wisconsin guys, I just didn't know the laws for other states.

Taking a camera out seems worthwhile, but wouldn't get my blood boiling. Scouting is another solid use of time. I'd still be a little bummed though. Might have to rush my wife through hunter safety so she can buy a license. ;-)

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 am

Im lucky that where I hunt in Michigan. Ohio, and Indiana are both within a couple of miles. I've hunted all 3 states in one year before. That's 4 buck tags.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:02 am

Never had the option of a bonus buck tag in WI since I don't care to shoot does. In the past if I kill a buck early I will buy an over the counter tag in a neighboring state and explore some new areas. Few years back I killed my buck on opening day and then headed up to the Sylvania Wilderness in the UP of MI. That was a very enjoyable hunt and glad I did it even though my tag didn't get filled. Those experiences mean much more to me than just staying in WI and killing multiple bucks.

Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:45 am

I'm only allowed one deer per season where I hunt so if I tag out early i'm going to become the Designated Camera Man for my buddies:D
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:54 am

Not much really changes unless you are use to two tags, I am looking for something that gets me excited and shoot it early mid or late I don't care. I'm not looking for inches, just a good animal for the woods I hunt. If I tag out early then it's extra grouse and duck hunting with the kids so win win. I imagine once the kids are grown I will start exploring some other states.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:59 am

Definitely. As a result I plan on bowhunting less this year. I like bigger racks. There simply aren't as many bigger racks close to home in northern WI. You can't kill what doesn't exist and I don't want to waste my buck tag on one of these northern WI "giants". In years past, I would chase an older, smaller racked buck close home midweek with my all state tag and hunt the CWD zone on half days and weekends for larger racked bucks, sometimes younger.

This year I plan to continue to focus my efforts on public land farther south on half days and weekends, but will eliminate my buck hunting efforts close to home. Unless something changes in the near future, my deer hunting close to home will be limited to doe harvest. Thankfully I have a bear tag this year and plan to spend some extra time chasing on the hunt for a decent bear. If WI goes over-the-counter for bear in Zone C as speculated, I'll likely get a tag every year to fill the time. I also plan to do a bit more waterfowl hunting this fall with the change. I'm looking forward to more time in the duck blind.

I plan to head to MO if I'm fortunate to fill my archery buck tag by mid October. Also considering MN, OH, IN, and NE.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 am

Nope, that's all I've ever had in MN!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:56 am

One buck is just fine by me, I like it, ALOT!

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Last year was the firsts year I had to worry about it, being my first year in MN.

IF I tag out this year, I'll likely scout in season to see what's where with out fear of burning it for the year. May not ethical to some but I want to know what was bedding where throughout the season if I can't hunt it anymore. Scout scout scout..,. Or buy a WI tag lol

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Sucks :lol:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:22 pm

We only have 1 buck tag and have for a few years now. It personally doesn't bother me because 1 deer fills my freezer fine. The trouble comes when you apply to the muzzy season and have to choose whether to tag out on a buck then or wait for bow again. Same with shooting a buck before muzzy season. Need to pick if it's a shooter or not quick..

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:33 pm

I try to set a realistic goal..and try to go through archery and rifle season with that goal in mind...

I've never had more than 1 buck tag...I've tagged out in early-mid October.. It is bitter sweet...knowing so much time is left...

I find a lot to keep me busy...small game and fall turkey hunting..hunting the coon dog more...scouting and keeping after the deer...

I try not to pass the first day what I would shoot the last day but really that's not true...my goal may slightly change... Just because I don't wanna tag a 70" 2.5yo opening week and be done...rifle season he might look pretty nice lol...definitely dead in flintlock season..

BHC

Unread postby BHC » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:37 pm

No I'm usually hunting 1-5 specific bucks. I hunt and would be very reluctant to get opportunities at two. I like having an extra tag tho incase a take one early season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”