Does one buck tag for bow change your strategy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbay
500 Club

Re: Does one buck tag for bow change your strategy?

Unread postby cbay » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 am

Shouldn't matter for me as i've never taken over one, but it would (and will next year) make me think longer and harder about what i shoot. The panic of not having a solid reason to stay in the woods after filling the tag is less now that i got cameras and filming equipment. That's going to be just as fun i think.

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:42 am

The more I think about this, I actually hope I tag out early. As I think about it, I rarely shoot more than one. I am going to have to start in a couple years though. The kids are getting to be bigger eaters and I ran out of venison about a month ago.

The waterfowl option sounds like a great option for my 5 year old. She can talk and doesn't have to sit still for the majority of the time - and I'd like to spend some more time in my layout boat.

I'd also be more inclined to do a second trip to South Dakota chasing Pheasants in November.

Give me a wall-hanger opening day!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:57 am

The biggest advantage of tagging out early is being tag free and getting to scout buck bedding in season without worry of spooking your bucks. You will know when the bucks are using the beds and fresh sign is so much easier to read. It will put you in a much better spot in 2016
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 am

We have always been a one buck state, so I tend to not shoot something that I will regret.

I guess its easier to be buckless then disappointed with my judgment/decision making skills..
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:04 am

That's a great point Dan. Tagging out early really gives a guy options to do stuff he can't normally do. Also nice to drive around and monitor public lands to see where guys are hunting and then look for overlooked spots away from the pressure. Details like that can be huge in future seasons.

Tagging out early does not necessarily mean your season is done. I look at it as getting a good head start for next season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 am

dan wrote:The biggest advantage of tagging out early is being tag free and getting to scout buck bedding in season without worry of spooking your bucks. You will know when the bucks are using the beds and fresh sign is so much easier to read. It will put you in a much better spot in 2016

That's a great point, and perspective.

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:58 am

Another benefit: You beat the rush at the taxidermist...

chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 am

I actually am guilty of shooting a buck I might normally pass because I knew I had an earn a buck tag in a different area. The buck I shot was my biggest with a bow, but I probably would have let him walk if I only had one tag like in years past. Only having one tag will keep me a little more selective, and more eager to shoot a better buck than the year before. I have seen several guys on Facebook post an EAB they shot, in which it was a buck they wouldn't have shot with one tag, because they knew they were going to Buffalo County in November.

Probably a good thing for the regs and it might get more nice bucks running around the Marsh.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:11 pm

The only reason I liked EAB was for the chance at a second big buck. I'm at the point where if a buck isn't going on my wall then i'm not shooting. This year I have a couple that I've been watching and would have no problem taking one the first day. I'm in my last semester of school so it would be nice to tag out early and not have to worry about pushing off homework to go hunting. It sure was nice to have the chance at a second buck. Last year i tagged out early and had a second tag and it sure was nice to be back out in the woods during rut. If i get one early this year my focus will be school work and getting my girlfriend her first deer.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I'm 7 miles from the WI/IL border in IL, so tags won't be an issue (two buck tags in IL and one in WI for bow), but I am giddy the deer herd on the public close to home in WI may finally start to bounce back.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:18 pm

If I tagged out early I would do a LOT of in season scouting. I

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”