Beginner Archer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

Re: Beginner Archer

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:26 pm

As some have said but with a little added.
Not all pro shops have pro's in them. Stay away from box stores when it comes to learning how to shoot and archery set up.
Research before you buy.
I believe in buying quality gear the first time I buy. Buying cheap stands and gear means you'll be spending the same amount of money all over again in a few short years.
Broadhead practice is critical to success.
I might be the minirity here, but use a tape measure and markers for yardage memorization. Both from a tree and from the ground. Figure out what walking stride is needed to cover one yard. Although I have a range finder, I seldom use it because i learned to estimate bow yardage.
Pick that one spot and shut everything else out before release.
Don't get wrapped up in the antler size mindset, it's over rated

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:01 am

Just curious what broadheads you guys are shooting that you have to tune them in like that. My broadheads shoot exactly like my field points.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:15 am

There's been a lot of good tips on equipment. One tip that I will give you is on strategy and that's to pay attention to the wind at all times and NEVER HUNT A SPOT WHEN THE WIND ISN'T RIGHT FOR IT. I remember when I just got into archery hunting, I would be sitting at school and I would already pick out the stand I was going to hunt that night without even giving the wind a thought. I'd get to my stand that night and the wind would be blowing exactly where I expected the deer to be coming from and I didn't see anything that night but I still insisted that it was just a bad night for deer movement. Finally, I wised up and stopped fighting the wind and instead picked the stand I hunted based on what the wind was doing that particular day. My sightings/kills sky rocketed and the sooner you embrace that concept, the sooner you will be successful. Don't fall into the "Forget the wind, just hunt" mentality. You can't kill deer when you're upwind of them, plain and simple.

If you have stand sights picked out, do you know where you expect the deer to come from? If so, then you should be able to figure out what wind you can hunt those stands. Buy a tablet with 4 sections and label each one "North", "South", "East", "West". Then when you figure out a stand location that needs a West wind to hunt it, enter it into that section of the tablet. When you get enough locations for each different wind direction, it makes it nice to quickly see what stands you can hunt for a given wind.

Good luck and keep it fun!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:29 am

Getting into archery can be an awfully expensive game if you're not careful. Gear is the least of your worries in my opinion. Here are some tips that I will give you, I am by no means as much of an expert as some of these guys, but here you go.

[align=center]Essential things to do[/align]
1. You need to scout and learn how to scout, bowhunting is a completely different than gun hunting. You need to better understand the deer and what they are doing, because you need to be considerably closer.
2. Practice shooing, and become as good as you can at it. It can be fun practicing. If you have friends that shoot make a game out of it, competition will make you better and and pressure moments of having to put an arrow in the right spot will replicate but not duplicate hunting.

[align=center]Essential Gear[/align]

1. As far as gear goes, you need a BOW, ARROWS, and some form of release (some would even argue that). If you have the money and want to get other gear that's great but.... you're just getting into it. I could give you a long list of things but the gear game is different for everyone, some like to have tons of it, some don't like to have a lot. It a personal preference thing.

2. You could argue for a range finder and if you continue hunting next year I suggest you get one but, if it's your first year I would suggest you learn what 20-25 yards is and don't take a shot past that. Anything under that and you should be able to use the same pin.

3. A tree stand is good, but not necessary, there are guys killing bug bucks from the ground all the time.

Good luck, and most of all have fun!
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:46 am

csoult wrote:Just curious what broadheads you guys are shooting that you have to tune them in like that. My broadheads shoot exactly like my field points.

You may have a very valid point here. If this member is a brand new bowhunter they are probably shooting Rage or one of the other popular mechanical heads that do shoot almost identical to field tips. Like my forum name implies I shoot Bear Super Razorheads on carbon arrows out of a Mathews MQ1. They are 145 grains and I need 5" vanes to stabilize them. I need to make sure that they are are mounted vertical, totally in line with the bowstring. Most of my bowhunting buddies have switched to mechanicals over the years and this includes guys that use to swear by Zwickey Black Diamond Delta heads. I have continued to shoot the Razorheads because I have many of them left and they can be hand sharpened to razor sharpness and I have killed many deer with the same broadhead. The bleeder blades however will probably be my problem in the next couple of years as they are much harder to find recently. All 20 deer that I have killed with a bow have fallen victim to the Bear Razorhead. Old habits are sometimes hard to break.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Any modern broadhead will kill deer. I wouldn't shoot mechanicals unless you have an arrow that is generating at least 60+ joules of kinetic energy though. The mechanicals take kinetic energy to open which in turn can reduce penetration. So you want some umph behind that arrow.

I'm old school I guess as I stick to the fixed blade chisel point broadheads. I like the Muzzy 100s. I fly them fine with 3 blazers. Never needed to align them with the fletching or orient them with the string, etc. Their reputation is that they don't fly great but they really tear it up. But I've never had an issue with them not flying true. I do tune my own bow, spin test each broadhead, etc... All the stuff you're supposed to do. But the broadhead selection is largely a personal choice based on your setup. With today's technology I don't think there is a wrong answer...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Razorhead wrote:As was mentioned many times above, practicing with your broadheads and making the adjustments to get them to fly properly out of your bow is absolutely critical. The staff at your local bow shop will be able to help you with this if you're unsure how to make any needed adjustments.

[glow=red]When the moment of truth comes and you have that deer within your comfort zone, "PICK A SPOT". I mean actually focus on the piece of hair on the deer that you want to hit.[/glow] You probably won't hit it but you'll have a whole lot better chance of making a lethal shot if you focus on this detail before you touch off the shot. I missed a whole lot of deer and made some really bad shots before someone finally gave me that tip. I now use every time I draw my bow on a deer with much better results. Good luck!

That is hands down the biggest mistake I made when I was starting out. I centered my pin in the peep, put it on the vitals, and sent the arrow on its way. I wounded my fair share of deer that I never found and that's why. Use razorhead's advice and pick that SINGLE hair. Think small, aim small, and FOLLOW THROUGH. Keep that pin on the deer until the arrow impacts. Make a conscious effort for this even when target practicing.

If you can afford it, buy a 3D deer target. Shooting at a black dot on a manufactured square target has an entirely different feel than aiming at a deer's vitals.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:52 am

Petersheim18 wrote:I'm new to hunting. I'm hunting PA state game lands. I got a bow and camo. What else do I need to get started
Thanks!

I will copy what most have said in that you already have most of what you need. However there is some gear out there that is worth the price.

Here is a past topic titled "Must Have Equipment": viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22881&hilit=equipment

Before you buy anything just ask yourself if you will REALLY use it multiple times throughout the season. Research the products by reading reviews or asking questions on this site. Accumulate stuff over a long period of time and try to find deals and steals.

Gear I use the most:
-Bow and lots of arrows and broadheads
-Merino wool baselayers
-GPS with topos combined with google earth on my laptop
-Hip boots
-Binoculars
-Rangefinder
-Headlamp
-Lone Wolf Stand and sticks with rock climbing harness
-Low budget good quality trailcams
-Cabelas Rain gear
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”