Vacations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Which time of the fall do you use your vacation days?

First week of archery season
2%
Sept. 1 week or more
2%
Oct. 1 week or more
2%
Nov. 1 week or more
49%
Dec. 1 week or more
No votes
Sept-Dec. Selected days
10%
Rut period vacation 1 week or more as well as scattered days throughout the early season.
34%

Total votes: 41
Lewis1303

Vacations

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:08 am

With much said about hunting beast style and being able to shoot that mature buck outside the rut, I'm curious as to how much serious effort is spent using vacation days outside that rut window. This will be my first year using vacation days outside that rut window to give more of an earlier effort on shooting a mature buck. Does anyone else exhaust early season vacation days? Any options I didn't cover just feel free to write in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
Jackson Marsh

Re: Vacations

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:14 am

I have the first week of the season off, I will also have a a week or two during November.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:18 am

I've been taking the first two weeks of November off for the last 18 years. Funny thing I shot my biggest buck of my life on October 7th on a weekend hunt. Next year im gonna take the first week of season

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:19 am

Other than the rut I take 3 day weekends the rest of the season. Main reason is with Friday vacation they can't stick me with mandatory overtime on the weekends.

I have the first week of the season off this year but will be bear hunting much of that time.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 am

IMO - the best time of the year to kill a deer you have scouted is the first 7-10 days of the season in WI
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:31 am

I can take vacation pretty spur of the moment, so I keep an eye out for cold fronts, take 3 day weekends, and I get Columbus Day so I'll take a 4-day for that. I take half days when I can to stretch my vacation further. If you run low there's always the 24-hour flu. It can be nasty in September.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 am

I take 4 days during last week of oct and another 4 days during first week November

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:45 am

I take vacation to leave at noon every mon-wed-friday after opening weekend until the middle of october. Then 4 days total for nov. I like leaving at noon because it gives me time to get some stuff done around the house and still be able to get to some spots that are back in the marshes with plenty of time and not have to rush.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:04 am

I usually take a week off middle of November. I'm thinking next year I might take a few days off at the first of season also.

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 am

Peeps22 wrote:I take vacation to leave at noon every mon-wed-friday after opening weekend until the middle of october. Then 4 days total for nov. I like leaving at noon because it gives me time to get some stuff done around the house and still be able to get to some spots that are back in the marshes with plenty of time and not have to rush.

That's a sweet setup. A man can get a lot of hunting done and still be around on the occasional weekend.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:14 am

Yeah im lucky my supervisor likes me haha. My hours are 6-3:30 mon-fri but if i take off at noon its only considered 2 hrs of vacation so its not alot of vacation burned up. Saturdays are volunteer 5:30-10:30 so even if i work sat. Mornings i still have alot of the day left to finish up loose ends and hunt in the evenings.

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 am

I will take 3 weeks in November, and can lay off any days that look good before that. It's getting close. Good luck

Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:54 am

I generally hunt whenever I can from Oct 1 to Dec 31. But I do take the week leading up to Halloween off every year to archery hunt just before the gun seasons begin. We have 3 (week long) ML seasons in the Wildlife Management unit I hunt in and I usually apply to one of those as well. And for the last hooray I am usually off between Christmas and New Years so I hit the woods pretty hard that week if I am not tagged out by then :D
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:00 am

We work 4-9 hour days and then get off at noon today n Fridays. If the weather is right I take off the 1/2 day on Friday. Hunt Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. Check Sunday evening. I don't get too far behind at work doing this. Then oll take from Christmas until after New Years. Aside from that I may hunt a couple midweek days

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 am

Bucky wrote:IMO - the best time of the year to kill a deer you have scouted is the first 7-10 days of the season in WI

^ This

I'll be burning through some half days of vacation during the early season. I have 11 days in late october - early November. My wife and I are expecting another baby in mid December so I expect my home range to shrink considerably around opening weekend of gun season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”