Vacations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Which time of the fall do you use your vacation days?

First week of archery season
2%
Sept. 1 week or more
2%
Oct. 1 week or more
2%
Nov. 1 week or more
49%
Dec. 1 week or more
No votes
Sept-Dec. Selected days
10%
Rut period vacation 1 week or more as well as scattered days throughout the early season.
34%

Total votes: 41
jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Vacations

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:16 am

I like to use a few hrs of vacation time and leave work early, I do this quite a bit...I'm able to get in a lot more weekday hunts by doing that. I like to take week off during the rut as well. Then I'll go back to taking half days later in the season. Of course there's the occasional sick days worked in there as well..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Only 1 option?? :?

Week and a half in Sept, 2 weeks in Nov, 1 or 2 3-4 day weekends in Oct, Dec, Jan and Feb.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:21 pm

We could only vote one time. But, I usually take a week in October an November when the weather breaks. May try to get in a four of five days in January.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:31 pm

PK_ wrote:Only 1 option?? :?

Week and a half in Sept, 2 weeks in Nov, 1 or 2 3-4 day weekends in Oct, Dec, Jan and Feb.

This sounds awesome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 pm

I tend not to use much vacation for hunting. I do use our flex-time policy that allows me to work a couple longer days and then work a couple short days.

I will probably take a couple days off for WI gun season and then a few days off around the holidays that I will use partially for late season hunting.

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Bucky wrote:IMO - the best time of the year to kill a deer you have scouted is the first 7-10 days of the season in WI

^ This

I'll be burning through some half days of vacation during the early season. I have 11 days in late october - early November. My wife and I are expecting another baby in mid December so I expect my home range to shrink considerably around opening weekend of gun season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Congrats Bassboys.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 am

I take my vacation during early November because I think it's the best time to kill a buck at any point in the day, so I wanna be on stand all day.

The early season is probably the best time to kill a buck you have patterned, but it's most likely going to happen just before closing, so I only need to be in stand for the last few hours of hunting. I hunt close to home for the most part so I'll just take 2 hours of vacation if I wanna head out on a weekday during the early season.
Big Jon

Unread postby Big Jon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:27 am

I've got a job right now that starts at 5am and is done in the early afternoon. I could sit 5 nights/week if I wanted, but I'm learning to hunt less and scout more. I'll probably take a few days off in early October (scout for gun/bow hunt) and a few during the gun hunt.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 am

All rut for me
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 am

JoeRE wrote:I tend not to use much vacation for hunting. I do use our flex-time policy that allows me to work a couple longer days and then work a couple short days.

I will probably take a couple days off for WI gun season and then a few days off around the holidays that I will use partially for late season hunting.

I flex my time as well in the early season and try to get out in the afternoons right after cold fronts or during moon days.

I take 5-10 days from the end of October through the latter part of November, but have the ability, if I'm not tied up with fieldwork, to select the days based on weather conditions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”