Buck beds without rubs?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Buck beds without rubs?

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am

Found a small thick patch of scrub brush with dead falls located between 2 standing corn fields. I located 3 beds all with a tree or dead fall to their backside. No rubs nearby and ground to hard to show a print. The beds were only 10-30 yds apart for different wind directions . They seem to "hidden" and hard to hunt to make them a doe bedding area.

Any thoughts? Found this spot by accident while helping farmer cut a fallen tree. As the saying goes "look in the out of the way spots".

Id like to setup my brother on this spot because it is a short walk from the truck.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Buck beds without rubs?

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am

If there aren't the right variety and size trees near the bed, many times there won't be rubs near the bed, by default.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:19 pm

My guess would be bucks use the beds until the corn is picked. Very common to see this happen.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:23 pm

I wouldnt be too concerned with the beds not having any rubs unless you know for sure there a several bucks in the area. I think many times where the buck beds have plenty of rubs, that means there are several bucks in the area using the same beds.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:47 pm

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks Mike, Great thread
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 am

From the photo you posted those look to be buck beds. Based like you said wind direction. Only one way to find out and that's hunt them. I agree with Stanley about the corn providing the cover so earlier the better. Could also be bachelor bedding. I've noticed in the bachelor bedding I find that the younger bucks will bed in closer proximity and the older buck will be a little away. Almost as if he's set up in the best safety bed, and uses them as satellite protection from there direction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 am

What is the bed size and what do the tracks look like. Are the tracks there all being made by the same deer or are there different tracks from different deer. If the corn is standing the spot does not offer any visibility on the downwind side.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:21 am

Any pictures of the bed itself?

It looks to me that spot is a natural travel corridor with three standing intersecting cornfields. I'd be bowhunting that on the first rainy or cold front day when your season opens...

On non corn years that spot will be null and void.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:34 am

I couldnt locate tracks. Its been dry here so there's nothing to show. I agree about the standing corn likely being the only time they would bed here.

here is the view of the thick area. I was standing on the South side of it

Bed for S, SE, maybe E winds

Bed for N,NE, maybe E wind

Bed pictures arent the greatest. the beds are bigger and more matted down. I think I was standing in a couple of them :whistle:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:07 am

Buck beds... Its pretty typical for bucks to bed like that. The biggest buck I ever shot was bedded under a willow tree and there wasn't a rub within 100 yards. I watched that buck bed there for two years and saw several other bucks bed there.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34 am

I killed the buck in my avatar with a very similar situation to this. It was extremely sparse cover out in the middle of nowhere where two fields joined like that. He was bedding in a little chunk of grass pretty much like that. Same thing. I knew I had better get him fast before the corn came out or he'd be relocating to the main woods a mile away. Luckily for me it worked out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”