Hunting apps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tysonhunter

Hunting apps

Unread postby tysonhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Contrary to the gadget post I thought it would be neat to hear what apps y'all put to use. I use weather underground app, and a free topo app that interfaces with bing arial which is neat cause you can toggle between them and with the gps function turned on you can ping your exact location. I do this then take screen shots on my phone for future reference. (Also if hunting alone I can provide this to a trustworthy source in case of a emergency) I would really be interested in a moon phase app (after the recent pod casts) I also use the photo bucket app and podcast app not that it's really hunting related albeit I only listen to hunting related podcast and use photo bucket for hunting forums lol) Any moon apps or other must haves from you guys?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

remmag
500 Club

Re: Hunting apps

Unread postby remmag » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 pm

I use a weather app during season and use huntstand app for all my scouting and in-season notes. I don't trust technology so all notes & deer sign is then transferred to paper a.s.a.p.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:03 pm

do you guys have unlimited data?
tysonhunter

Unread postby tysonhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Yes data use is of no concern for me. GPS takes very little data. Actually if you have the map uploaded you can turn the data off and just use gps with some programs. Also I have two phones one being work phone so data isn't a issue for me lol

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:29 pm

For directly hunting related the only app I use is wunderground

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Hunt stand is good for places you know you won't have signal. My Scout look weather app has yet to let me down. Very accurate especially for the wind direction now they have added the deer log feature

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:19 am

Ok, so my favorite hunting app has to be Gaia. It is the most powerful tool to have when doing preseason scouting, and this is why.

If know that you are going into an area that has no cell coverage, you can download the map of the area before hand (I always do this) and then it will be on your phone as long as you want it. The app then works off of GPS, so there is no need to worry about signal.

You can see that you can record your track and view the aerial. When you are done it provides you the details of you walk.

Topo's are also available and is what I typically work from, but you can also put points in where you have found, buck beds, scrapes, trails, ect.

On top of that you can take pictures and attach them to the way points. This way you know what you saw while you where out there.

This information is always available to you, either on your phone or by going to their web site and signing in and viewing it on your computer. I have to note that I do not work for them nor did I receive the app for free, just need to point out how amazing it is. Oh, and for you guys who use CALTOPO for shading top third and other things, those maps can be used with this app also.

I will never go into the woods without this app on my phone again.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:29 am

These are the stats from the scouting trip that I posted. There is more information available, I just couldn't fit it all on a screenshot. Also with this trip, I forgot to hit record until almost half way through.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 am

I use the gps kit app. It looks very similar to Gaia & has the same features. Been using it for 3 yrs, blows away a handheld gps unit.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 am

I just found US TOPO MAPS APP. Its free and it has ALOT of different layers to choose from including Google Maps Arial. You can switch between Topo & Satellite quickly without much zoom
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:36 am

Trimble GPS is also a great app - you can download maps and save them to your phone for areas that don't have good cell service. You can also log into the webpage and pull up recent trips to pull over to Google Earth.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 am

I bought the Gaia app and promptly returned it for a refund. The US Topo map app has almost all the capabilities and is half the price (think it was 10 bucks when I bought it). No photos or cloud sync... However the maps have many many more layers. The Gaia weather overlay wasn't working for me. Neither was the compass. The cursor indicating my location didn't consistently appear on the map/screen either. I gave it a try but ended back with what I know works. I still carry a Garmin 64s and a compass with me anyway. The phones are nice but I had it get me turned around in the woods one time.

The phone apps are nice and very capable. But the phone's GPS and compass isn't nearly a bulletproof as the hand held GPS units and a good old fashioned compass.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:48 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I bought the Gaia app and promptly returned it for a refund. The US Topo map app has almost all the capabilities and is half the price (think it was 10 bucks when I bought it). No photos or cloud sync... However the maps have many many more layers. The Gaia weather overlay wasn't working for me. Neither was the compass. The cursor indicating my location didn't consistently appear on the map/screen either. I gave it a try but ended back with what I know works. I still carry a Garmin 64s and a compass with me anyway. The phones are nice but I had it get me turned around in the woods one time.

The phone apps are nice and very capable. But the phone's GPS and compass isn't nearly a bulletproof as the hand held GPS units and a good old fashioned compass.

I always carry a compass, but it's sure nice to have access to bing & GE aerials, GE terrain, & topo US while in the field. Then just a quick email (no cables, always misplaced those dang cables) to send tracks & waypoints back so they can be imported into GE or Caltopo.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 am

Absolutely no doubt. You just can't beat an internet connected device in that regard. I use my phone too for exactly that stuff. Just not for primary navigation as much as just getting aerial views. I can put the views on my hand held GPS - but pre-loading them is a pain and the screen isn't nearly as nice.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am

When I'm without service I use Trimble with my iPad and an external GPS that links via Bluetooth. It lets me download the layers and mark it up as I see fit. It doesn't show my tracks which is a huge drawback. Certain types of hunting make it far more useful. It played a huge part in putting us in good positions during our Colorado elk trip.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”