Can a ground blind be more stealthy than a tree stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Can a ground blind be more stealthy than a tree stand?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 am

If you found a new area near a buck bed that required a lot of trimming, could a ground blind be more stealthy than using a climber or hanging a hang on each hunt?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dkoy85

Re: Can a ground blind be more stealthy than a tree stand?

Unread postby dkoy85 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 am

I've used ground blinds to hunt does before and judging by the negative reactions I get from does and young bucks, I'd have to say no they can't be used more stealthily- in 95% of situations. If I hunt a spot I know a big buck is in, and I don't have the spot trimmed I just don't trim. I find it hard to deploy a ground blind without making too much noise. I'd much prefer to hang my stand at a lower height, or whatever height offered me the best shooting lanes.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:33 am

Depends on the individual and equipment. A skilled hunter with quiet equipment is almost always more stealthy from the tree stand due to the advantages of hunting from an elevated position. However there are many spots where tree stands don't work and hunting from the ground is the best option.

I wouldnt get too carried away with the trimming. I'd take a tree stand with small windows over hunting from the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:45 am

A ground blind is not my first option. Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do, and then do it. If sneaking into an area I would recommend a natural ground blind instead of a pop up. I have killed quite few good bucks lurking into an area with a camp stool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:20 am

It is just about always quieter and faster to set up on the ground than climbing a tree because all you have to do is sit down. There are benefits and drawbacks for every type of setup and speed and quiet are two of the biggest benefits of hunting from the ground. I am talking about a pre-prepped rough blind as I like to make with a couple logs leaned up against a tree or just sitting down next to a bush or tree. I am not a fan of pop up blinds.

You mention trimming, in areas with thick young trees you often can see a lot better at "deer" level than even 6 feet off the ground (at our eye level until you sit down) and therefore need a lot less trimming. Other terrains are different. In a swamp and some other types of cover you just about have to get off the ground to see over the cattails and grass.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:16 am

Agree, I think anyone will have a tough time killing a mature buck from a pop up blind. Especially one that doesn't sit out all the time. Hunting from a rough blind or from behind a buch or downed tree, can be the best option but that moment of truth will be much more difficult.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31 am

I used to hunt alot of ground sets n plan on going back to it this year. The key is using natural cover.. deadfalls, grassy areas, brushy tangles.. They can b very stealthy.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:35 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Depends on the individual and equipment. A skilled hunter with quiet equipment is almost always more stealthy from the tree stand due to the advantages of hunting from an elevated position. However there are many spots where tree stands don't work and hunting from the ground is the best option.

I wouldnt get too carried away with the trimming. I'd take a tree stand with small windows over hunting from the ground.

X2. I have been busted more times from the ground than in a tree. I would take a stand in there and see if you can make it work. Use the backdrop as cover, I would rather be 6' off the ground with good back cover rather than a pop up ground blind, and keep the trimming to a minimum, in the past I was guilty of getting carried away with trimming and it did more harm than good. If you get in there and can't get a stand in there period I would sit on the ground and use some blow downs or brush to try to blend in and break your self up and whatever you have for natural shooting lanes, even if it's minimum I would just leave it as is or do very minimal trimming.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 am

I am hoping this one works. A couple big bucks were using this area last season and they are both alive and doing it this season as well. I don't like pop up blinds for deer but I put this one in place over a month ago. This is a very small place but it gets no pressure except from me. Frankly I'd rather use a ghillie suit but there isn't even enough cover for that here. Believe it or not I only plan on actually hunting in this blind once or at best twice. As far as taking a blind out and hunting it that same day, I think it would be very very difficult. I'd take a ghillie suit.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:57 am

JoeRE wrote:It is just about always quieter and faster to set up on the ground than climbing a tree because all you have to do is sit down. There are benefits and drawbacks for every type of setup and speed and quiet are two of the biggest benefits of hunting from the ground. I am talking about a pre-prepped rough blind as I like to make with a couple logs leaned up against a tree or just sitting down next to a bush or tree. I am not a fan of pop up blinds.

You mention trimming, in areas with thick young trees you often can see a lot better at "deer" level than even 6 feet off the ground (at our eye level until you sit down) and therefore need a lot less trimming. Other terrains are different. In a swamp and some other types of cover you just about have to get off the ground to see over the cattails and grass.

I was talking more about a pre-prepped spot. I actually have a couple areas like you mentioned, it's almost clear below 5 feet but super thick above it and I though a ground blind would ultimately be less intrusive. Also agree about Pop ups generally. I bought one but never hunted out of it. They take up a lot of space. Great in the cold though!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:27 am

Pop ups have their place, and I've helped my friend take a 2. y.o. on public and my wife take a yearling on same day sets with my blind.

Both bucks saw the blind and were uneasy... I don't think a mature buck will let it slide like these deer did.

IMHO Stanley and JoeRE are right... natural blind.

One thing I like to do is take small bungees and strap branches out of the way to make lanes. Then when you're done hunting, take them back off, and there are no cut limbs to give away your spot.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:33 am

In some situations stepping into a natural ground blind is a lot quieter and stealthy than putting up a stand and 4 sticks next to a buck bedding area...

It really depends on the conditions / weather / wind speed and the visibility from the ground versus the tree. Hunting on the ground with little to no wind next to a buck bedding area is just asking for trouble...

Adapt to the circumstances at hand, wait until the weather and conditions favor your hunting style of choice for that spot, then move in and hunt. 8-)
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am

I have a few spots where there's no tree for a stand within range of the travel corridor. I picked up a ghost blind this spring, got a little practice with setting it up in the most effective way for it to disappear, and I feel like it could work in the right conditions. I'm just trying to be conscious of how the variables change. My scent won't drift over the top, it could sink/dissipate right onto their trail. I plan to set up right at the edge of a stream with the idea that it acts as a thermal sump. Otherwise I'll be very cognizant of wind. Maybe I only use it on windy days. At least the ghost blind will reflect blowing grass, leaves, etc - creating a more realistic appearance than pop-up. It's also much quieter to set up than a pop-up and made of a quieter material when it comes to brushing against branches, etc. But it's open on at least 50% of it, so I need to set up I against a backdrop of some kind, tucked into a bush or whatever else the area offers. In the right setting, the thing downright disappears.

Like others have said, it won't do much good in the cat tails. But it should allow me to slip into a staging area that until now I've only able to observe from my stand, not hunt in close. Watched too many mature shooters travel in utter safety last year while I sat at a safe distance, suppressing my aggressive instinct to move in on the ground. Something many on here have expressed before and I learned first hand last year, being too timid and playing it safe can be the surest way to miss an opportunity (and the most time consuming...)

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:00 am

BuckyHunter13
I plan to set up right at the edge of a stream with the idea that it acts as a thermal sump. Otherwise I'll be very cognizant of wind. Maybe I only use it on windy days.

Timing and a good, constant wind direction and speed can certainly aid with hunting a touchy stand site. I killed a good buck in a very high pressure area by scaling a nearly verticle creek bank for 30 feet before settling in to a natural ground blind straight downwind of a doe bedding area. I was hidden incredibly well and even then the buck knew something was fishy- I had mere seconds to get the shot off as I could tell he was leaving dodge and one jump would have him disappear in the swamp. Such is life in high pressure areas.

Like others have said, it won't do much good in the cat tails.

I've killed bucks in the cattails hunting on the ground. I like natural openings in the tails as close to buck bedding as I can get (the buck exit runway runs through the natural opening). I make a marsh seat out of an old 2 x 4 to stick in the muck, it doesn't get any cheaper than that. You can pick up a good marsh seat from Mack's Praire Wings to hunt the tails too.

Watched too many mature shooters travel in utter safety last year while I sat at a safe distance, suppressing my aggressive instinct to move in on the ground.

Sounds like the bell went off... I'm looking forward to hearing how things go this season. 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:39 am

I think hunting off the ground with no blind is about as stealthy as it gets, however getting your bow drawn up close is going to be difficult unless you have some nice cover to work with. Hunting mobile with a ground blind just seems like trouble unless its super windy out to cover the noise of the material, even then you might look like something very new to an area and a buck could spook easy. The good news about stand hunting is you can always switch it up and hunt from the ground if you have to, I have done that a few times.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”