Got my lone wolf!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Got my lone wolf!

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Use those personal days on the rut man, you can hunt all day. Bed hunting you are taking a whole day off for a 2 hour hunt… just my .02

Paint job looks killer. Definitely get some stealth strips, they make a huge difference.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:40 pm

this is my first hunting season with the new job....

i took a vacation week the 2nd (our last) week of our rifle season...why? it was open..i was about last on the list...as much as i love bow hunting there is something special about grabbing a rifle and setting out in fresh snow in the big woods...me...my rifle and miles and miles to roam...rarely seeing another person...i can take my coon dog to hang out with at camp...run a couple fox and coyote traps up in the field..whatever i want...

next year things will be different...much higher on the seniority list already....and i will be able to plan more...hopefully will have more beds scouted and sets planned....and hopefully the living situation will be better...right now i commute 75mi one way to work...do the math and there aint much time for sleepin let alone huntin...

i work a lot of 10 days on and 4 days off...which is a bummer because i end up with a sunday off which is useless...

next year i will be in more of a position to say hey...i cant hunt on sundays..make sure i work them oct-jan please...football fans would probably enjoy that too...

another thing like Labor day...i get a day off and its being "wasted" the weekend prior to me hunting...next year i will request it gets used when i can hunt....

really i will make the best of the season...i have enough sets to stay fresh...4 day weekends i wanna head to camp and hunt the big woods....with the drive just not gunna be much hunting after work...

basically im the guy that doesnt like to seem needy or make wakes till im in more of a position to do so....i could asked for a tailored schedule to accommodate my drive better...i could ask for days off...vacation weeks where i REALLY wanted them...adjusted use of holidays etc....but its my first year..im on probation for couple months yet...noone remembers the quiet guy....but they all remember the needy one always asking for this n that....

i think the personal days will be best used after halloween as well....

none of this matters....im smoking my marsh buck on the first sit....all i gotta do is figure out how im going to get him outta there....i aint calling for help because i dont want anyone to know where i killed him...i have high hopes for that hunt...gunna go in on a nice drizzly or breezy day...wind blowing from the bed to his scrape...i can basically get against the high water of the channel and he is gunna have to come in front of me to get near the scrape...i know deer swim....but deer are also lazy...i cant see them swimming in a DEEP channel for no good reason...
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Does the batwing stick out further than the seat ? U have an older model there's actual teeth on the seat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
moarcher88

Unread postby moarcher88 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Looks like an alpha platform but the seat isn't original. Looks like the seat on my old sand cast stand.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:32 pm

All I know is $200 with 4 sections of steps isbl the price was right! Lol

I read that the bow holder evolved a bit through the years too...this one is more of a + shape with a rubber insert...

Not sure how old it is...everything was in good condition when I got it..

rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:30 pm

mauser06 wrote:Here's a few quick pics...hope they aren't too dark...photobucket seems to make my pics darker lately...

That paint job looks exactly like mine. I like it!!!

Anyone have ideas on the best attachment option?

Does it have the batwing?

Does the ez hook still work?

Ideas on how old it is??

How do ya like my paint job??

I've done a couple like that and they melt into the skyline...I really like the lone wolf because as you walk under it it almost changes colors...

I know my big but sitting on top of it stands out more than anything...I just can't stand the normal color of stands....a solid color just stands out to me..and probably deer...and I know thieves..

Stealth strips, third arm bow holder and stick talons ordered...

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:03 am

Its quick and easy to paint em like that...the lone wolf design is fun though...it literally seems to change color as you move around under it...

I'm convinced that solid colors stand out more than a broken color/pattern...I like the open space type patterns too...as I buy new camo I've been switching when I can...

Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:02 pm

jmaas07 wrote:I wouldn't use the liquid rubber stuff on the buckles...give the bicycle intertubes a try first, that's the cheapest route and they will be dead quiet. Wouldn't use the ez hang either, just the belt on the top versa button and cam lock it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

i agree 100%!! The innertubes work awesome! As well as the batwing, especially if trying to set up in a tree thats not so straight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”