2 bucks per year with a bow.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

2 bucks per year with a bow.

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:37 pm

I think Wisconsin should pass a law that states that a hunter can take 2 bucks with their bow per year but in return not be able to take one with their gun so it evens out.

I would much rather kill 2 bucks per year with a bow than shoot 1 because I love the natural movement type of hunting. No better feeling than to have a slob within 25 yards clueless that you are there and being on his normal schedule. Gun hunting is a great tradition but as Im getting older it seems alot more like slaughtering deer being kicked up by neighbors. Im not saying that I dont gun hunt or disrespect it but bowhunting is just so much more rewarding for me.

Is there any other states that allow a bowhunter to take 2 bucks per year with bow?

Whats your opinion? Would you rather take 2 with bow or 1 with bow and 1 with gun if you had this option?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2 bucks per year with a bow.

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Michigan allows two bucks you choose which season you shoot them in... However, I think two bucks a year is to many... In areas where hunters are only allowed one buck per year there are a lot more mature bucks running around.
1 buck per hunter per year and no group hunting if I had my way.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

However, I think two bucks a year is to many

My thoughts exactly
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:01 pm

dan wrote:Michigan allows two bucks you choose which season you shoot them in... However, I think two bucks a year is to many... In areas where hunters are only allowed one buck per year there are a lot more mature bucks running around.

X2, I think one buck a year would let a lot more bucks grow up.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Missouri two bow, one gun/bow during gun season.
So that's three.

Nebraska two bow.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 am

The thing about only being able to take one is you better make darn sure when you let that arrow fly that the buck your going to put your tag on makes you happy.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:15 pm

I proposed on the other site the way to make MI better is to allow 2 bucks every other year and one buck the other years. We have a tradition of 2 buck tags, so that would be a less drastic way to improve quality and still keep tradition every other year. Better than to cold turkey down to one buck a year

I was shot down by many. So let the onslaught continue in MI
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:41 pm

I like the idea of (2) bucks with the bow but not gun. If you wack one with the bow you have one left for gun or late bow season. If you are a gun hunter you only get one and do away with the party hunt system.

Maybe more young bucks would make it thru the year? Guys may save their rifle tag for second bow season. Or it could work opposite. Guys would smoke the 1st buck they see with the bow and then wait for a mounter.

Any stats on % of bowhunters that gun hunt also? They may just quit gun hunting altogether and spend more time bowhunting. On second thought, call me selfish, maybe not such a good idea. I don't want to see more guys bowhunting second season anyway.
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:51 pm

I like the one buck idea, with two most people would use the two for gun hunting
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:52 pm

We have a THREE buck limit here in VA. So you can see it can tough, BUT it can be done in terms of getting some better bucks within range on public land. I would support legislation that would reduce it to two bucks per year, with the most being one buck on public land. That right there would allow Virginia bucks to grown and express their good genetics.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:03 am

Indiana has had a one buck rule for about 6 years or so. I along with most other hunters agree that the age class is better. I see a lot more 2.5 year old bucks. I even harvested a 3.5 this year on public. We have an urban zone too which allows a second buck with archery equipment in one of the counties listed. I like the one buck rule but when you shoot your buck opening weekend it is bittersweet! I'm bucked out for the state but I have been trying to take my urban buck lately. It limits where I can hunt and take a buck but I am thankful I can still take one if I can get on one hunting the small parcels I have access to. Even the urban zones seem to have better bucks though. I know in the zone I live near there are 500+ deer vehicle collisions per year in the county so I don't think allowing a second buck in these area hurts since the population is high.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”