climber vs. hang on

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

megwan

climber vs. hang on

Unread postby megwan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:57 pm

I have a lone wolf sit and climb, but thinking about a lonewolf hang on. What are pros and cons I know the hang on are better for small trees and branches in the way, but Are the hang ons more comfortable or quieter, considerably heavier? How many sections of steps did you get?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: climber vs. hang on

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Its a common question on this site... "hang-on vs climber"

Your main concerns seem to be:

Are the hang ons more comfortable or quieter, considerably heavier? How many sections of steps did you get?

If these are truly your main concerns, stick to the climber...

However, if your main concern is killing big bucks there are a whole lotta reasons you should add a hang-on to your equipment list.

Is the hang-on more comfortable? NO

Is the hang-on QUIETER? YES

Is the hang-on considerably heavier? YES

How many sections of steps did you get? I USUALLY TAKE 5 STICKS WITH ME.

Now... the thing that bothers me about your question... It don't ask how a hang-on helps me get onto more bucks.
Big bucks live on the edges typically. Edges normally don't have straight limbless trees, and thick areas also normally don't have climber friendly trees... I want to hunt for bucks, not for trees. I don't want to sit back and watch the action, I want to be in the action.

Climbers work best in hill country, big woods, an d rut situations. However in Farm edge, swamps, and marshes, its going to put a big impact on your success because of tree type near active daylight buck areas. But, even in the hill or big woods, I want to be in the exact tree I need to be in, not one that "will do"

When I helped Andrae with sales and R&D I got one of every stand made. With that said, the only climber I kept was the hand climber, and in the last two years it has only been used to hunt during gun season drives even though its quieter, more comfortable, etc...

Bottom line is I am out there to KILL big bucks. Its not about relaxing. The weight of a hang on and 5 sticks might be a bit heavy, but if your after big bucks man-up and carry the weight.

Andrae invented all those stands... Yet visiting him and hunting with him, I have not seen him hunt out of a climber in at least 10 years...

HUNT DEER, NOT TREES
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:33 pm

No question hang on with steps. I bought my LW setup probably 8-10 years ago...and thats when I started killing P and Y bucks pretty regularly. I am more mobile. I can hunt nearly any tree in the woods, and my setup is more quiet. I still have a climber, as its my backup if I hurt something and I can not use a hang on. I have 5 lw sticks and 4 muddy, but Id start with 3-4.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:50 pm

As Dan stated, climbers are more comfortable and easier to use for most people, having spent years in one I know their benefits and shortcomings. The hang on rig takes the "good tree" conundrum virtually out of the picture.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:03 am

I'd get the stand and sticks. 5 sticks, alpha, plus accessories is going to weigh close to 30 lbs. Plus any other gear you feel as necessary. Add filming equipment and its easy to start feeling like a pack mule.

If that weight seems like way too much consider other stand and sticks options. Drop a 3-6 pounds by moving to a smaller LW assault. Drop up to an additional 10 lbs by learning to climb with climbing one stick (although noise and movement go up with this method).

If you add a good seat to the hang on (Hunt Comfort, Gorilla, etc.), you will find the the hang on is definitely more comfortable than your sit and climb. The aftermarket seat is superior and the platform feels more spacious with the hang on.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:19 am

Personally I'd say both in your back pocket is worth more than most any attrractant, scent outfit etc. I have the lw hangon and climber and they are versatile and a must have unless your a ground hunter. The mobile aspect I've learned is the most important for the hunter. From reading on here I don't think height with the hangon is actually as important as some may think. When you are mobile and play the game of surprise, many times you'll have an arrow on its way before the deer catch you. Climbing 25' is needed in some cases but there isn't always the same cover as blending into the foliage at 10ft

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:19 am

I use the hand climber. I really wish I knew better back then and should have went with a hang-on. I may still get one soon. Go with a hang-on. You can set up in any tree with them.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:21 am

Both have its place, but hang on more versatile.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:58 am

Ruger wrote:Both have its place, but hang on more versatile.

X2
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:16 am

I try to find excuses to hunt out of my summit elite sd. It's light and super comfy with the surround seat. Last few years though it's hard to pick it up over my assault+sticks.

Get the hang on, and get very comfortable at setting it up/packing it up etc… I find it to be less work than the climber now a days.

Another thing rarely talked about is the option to slip down out of the stand for various reasons can be very convenient… I have had to do this in the past to kill bucks. Or, you know, answer nature's call :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 am

Good point. Nothing is worse than dropping your gear and then having to shimmy back down the tree and then back up again with a climber.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:39 am

Dewey wrote:Good point. Nothing is worse than dropping your gear and then having to shimmy back down the tree and then back up again with a climber.

A pull rope with a hook is a huge energy saver for dropped gear.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:39 am

The others are spot on....

I can't tell you how many times I sat 20yds from the action because I couldn't find the right tree to climb...

And like was said many big buck hide outs you aren't gunna find a tree to climb with a climber...

I will miss the comfort of my Viper...but I will be able to quietly and quickly climb ANY tree with my lone wolf...

I have also ruined sets by wandering and looking for that right tree...scent...noise...going in a few years further than I should have....

I have a rut spot there is only 2 trees I can climb in the section of woods and neither is good...both are directly above ONE trail...I need to be between both of them...high suspicions something may die there this year just because I will have my lone wolf and they will have to be in range....

If im going in somewhere I know I will find the right tree..or gun hunting big woods...or looking for all day comfort I may take the viper...maybe...I will pack both to camp and such...but I know I'm gunna use the lone wolf more..

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:30 am

I like the climber for all day rut sits. They are far more comfortable. But the hang on is far more flexible. Getting into just the right tree, crooked trees, trees with branches (cover) etc...

You may find a tree you can get your climber into. But you'll never find a tree that your climber can get into that your hang on can't. They do suck to sit in for a long time though. Seats are generally small and uncomfortable. The platforms are small. I'm good for a few hours in one and that's it.

My viper - I've fallen asleep for half a day in that thing once or twice. Not what ya want to do when hunting - but just making the point about the comfort level. the disparity is huge. That said - I have 5 stands and 4 are hang on stands. 3 are millenium which I leave out in the woods. A lone wolf assault and my viper are my mobile setups.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:35 am

I have both and I prefer climber while looking for hot intel. The hangs-ons are in areas that have produced well over the years and every once in awhile they need to be tweaked to perfect the spot. I'm telling you. There's nothing like sneaking in to a hang-on/ladder with the right wind and you know it's going to be hot because you haven't been in there in three months.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”