Rut reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: Rut reports

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 am

I don't know what's going on in my neck of the woods, but I had off mon-wed, & I did not see squat.. I have yet to see a buck with his nose to the ground, they all just seem to be casually walking through.... its just weird, doesn't even feel like I'm hunting the rut this year.. maybe its all happening @ night ?

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 am

Yesterday morning (Nov 3rd) was another great sit. Saw the same 3.5 year old 8 point that I've passed on numerous times the last week. I watched him bed 60 yards away from me and about 30 yards from what appeared to be a doe fawn and a huge doe bedded southwest of me 40 or so yards. Just like that the 8 point got up out of his bed and his ears went straight back and started walking towards these 2 other bedded deer. I looked with my bino's at the bedded deer and they were gone. I searched like heck with the bino's and finally caught a glimpse of both of them. What I thought was a huge bedded doe was Instead a buck and a good one at that and the other wasn't a fawn but rather a doe. All I could see was some of his left side and what appeared to be his G2. The point was long (all of 10 Inches) and the beam curled way out so I know he's wide. Not sure If this was the same buck I saw on the 28th of October or not but none the less he was a dandy and a keeper. It puzzles me how this big buck and doe slipped In with out me seeing them bed. Sneaky devils!! The 2 bucks got with In 10 yards of each other by the looks of It then the bigger one disappeared never to be saw again. His body towered the 8 point but I couldn't see his rack. Funny how that seems to happen. The 8 point stayed around for another 30 minutes and then I think he bedded In there some where. I got down 45 minutes later and snuck out. Not sure what to do here as I know I need to be farther to the west but the damn wind swirls so bad. Tough decision here no doubt. If It wasn't for the gun season this weekend It would be a simple decision.

The evening sit I went to the opposite side of the woods and let things cool of here. I saw one doe. Today I'm going back to where I've had all the action and I'm putting up another stand a tad more deeper Into the woods. I think I'm too close to this doe bedding area as allot of chasing Is being done farther away from the bedding area.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Today was completely quiet for me again. I'm starting to think they are in lockdown after the frenzy I witnessed on Tuesday. Hopefully more does go into estrous but I am really worried about the doe population since I have seen about 5 or 6 bucks for every doe this season. If this is the case you would think that the bucks would be searching like crazy right now but it seems like they suddenly went underground. :? :?
Tommorrow is another day I guess and hope to see some action again.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:25 am

It is starting to happen where I hunt in Central Tx. Michel got to witness the start of teh rut here and I believe he really got pumped up to see it. Out of range for filming, but, he got to watch a young 5 pointer run back and forth behind us, pushing a doe til she got fed up. He continues to mingle around just inside of the wood lot til a bigger boy, nice 8 that we could see the rack very well and he stayed 200+ yds away chasing 2 does back and forth across an open field till they got fed up and he got thirsty. No deer for Michel on his last hunt at my place (general- gun season starts Sat. so I am off the property for a couple weeks. Our hunt ended a bit early when 2 coyotes came out, out of range to shoot, and no deer would come out after they moved thru.
2 hrs away to the NE, the rut has been going on strong for the last week. Hope to see some of that action while hunting coyotes tomorrow!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 am

Around Halloween seemed to be the best around western WI for big bucks cruising...think some of the big boys are locked down with does at the moment, should be picking up again soon. Amazing how the activity can vary from different parts of the state or even valley to valley withing the same county.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:56 am

I missed a high 40s to 50s ten this morning at first light @ 22 yards. Gave him a nice hair cut. Sick to my stomach. I'm in the tree again but am I ever depressed right now
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 am

Casper wrote:I missed a high 40s to 50s ten this morning at first light @ 22 yards. Gave him a nice hair cut. Sick to my stomach. I'm in the tree again but am I ever depressed right now

That's sucks Casper....... Stay with it ! Maybe that happened for a reason, maybe there's a bigger one coming your way ? ;)
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:12 am

A loy of cruisers and plenty of scapes and rubs....Next week looks like the week to be ready and into gun season!
RJR-007
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:42 pm

I sat all day today (11-5). I saw a shooter buck chasing a doe at 9:30ish and a few fawns a bit later. I saw a fawn at 3:30 as well.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
Casper wrote:I missed a high 40s to 50s ten this morning at first light @ 22 yards. Gave him a nice hair cut. Sick to my stomach. I'm in the tree again but am I ever depressed right now

That's sucks Casper....... Stay with it ! Maybe that happened for a reason, maybe there's a bigger one coming your way ? ;)

X2 His Dad is running around and you will let the air out of him :D
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:25 pm

WE ARE HUNTING IN ZONE 9 IOWA, SEEING SOME BUCKS CRUISING AND SAW TWO LOCKED DOWN STANDING OVER DOES ON THE WAY OUT FOR LUNCH. NOT AS MUCH ACTION AS ANTICIPATED TODAY
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Sat this afternoon from 1 till closing. I saw one buck chasing, heard some grunting in the bedding area and had one buck bed 40 yds away from me for a couple hours. My guess is that they were all 2.5 and 3.5 year olds. Woulda shot 'em if I got a chance to.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:26 am

western NY is so slow....one hot chasing day a week for the past three...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Saw three tonight....2 small 120's and 1 140 chasing 2 does all to far ouut!
RJR-007

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”