Lone wolf must haves?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Lone wolf must haves?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:46 am

So I am going Sunday to pick up a lone wolf and sticks...been waiting to find a deal and I did...took a long while...

Looks like it may be an older alpha..has what looks like a regular ole foam seat with lone wolf logo printed on it...the new ones look textured...says its an alpha II...I can't tell em apart but it looks brand new...

I plan to rattle can camo it and the sticks..I just hate the solid colors...

I know y'all talk about all kinds of accessories and such...

What at the must haves???

What do y'all do with your bow? Hold it? Or a holder? With my Viper I lay it across the wrap around bar...

Excited to have this stand. I didn't wanna spend 400$+ for a stand and sticks...but I need it for a lot of trees I've been eye balling....

Just don't know what to do to make it "perfect" lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Re: Lone wolf must haves?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 am

Here is a great bow holder.

http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=10

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:21 am

Thanx! That's probably as good as it gets...

Anything else to make it more functional or quiet for the beast style mobile methods?

Funny I just hung a junk hang on with screw in steps and hated every second of it...I'm gunna be in my lone wolf in the next tree over if I hunt that spot lol

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:48 am

Get a get set of shoulder straps. I use a screw in bowholder the one that swivels. Fits in my Fanny pack

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:56 am

Bow holder. Third hand bow holder is my preferred choice mounted to the seat of the stand. Many other options out there.

Stealth strips are great for silencing. Mil spec paracord works good too. Even electrical tape works on a budget. Don't forget the sticks!

Backpack straps. I like the claw backpack straps. If you want more support, you may want to consider a Molle or Alice pack system.

A good seat pad is nice. I consider it a must for an all day sit. I hate the OEM seat. I have both the hunt comfort and the gorilla seats. Both are great.

Buckle silencing. I like yak covers. Some guys use rubber inner tubes.

Stick talons. I honestly haven't tried these yet, but they look slick. Probably not a must have, but worth mentioning.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:17 am

Like others have said, stealth strips on the stand and sticks. Buckle silencers (bicycle intertubes work well, I use those...have heard yak grips are another good option but quite a bit more money). The lone wolf straps are crap, pick up some aftermarket straps, I have claw straps and really like them. I like to strap my sticks to the stand with kwik straps, lots of guys use bungees...either will be sufficient. Make sure you have a good safety harness with loops on the belt, I use 2 linesman ropes while setting the stand...that way when you get to a branch you need to un clip and go around you are still connected with the other linesman rope..then when you get the stand set one of the linesman ropes can be used for your tree tether. Lots of guys really like the third hand bow holder, I use the bow holder that's built into the platform, works fine with my older Mathews bow, it's not compatible with some bows, only drawback to that is you need to bend over a bit to grab your bow so I end up holding my bow when it starts to get close to prime time

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:20 am

From the pic it looks like he has nice straps on it...

Is there a post about the buckle silencing? I remember seeing it but can't find it?

The stealth strips are mentioned a lot...will order them!

Any good threads or videos on actually pacpacking this mess? That was always my hang up..so many straps and pieces to pack together...I didn't think it'd be fast or quiet...

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 am

Dan has a couple good you tube videos about setting up his stand and sticks and packing out.

Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:30 am

To prep it for the upcoming season you may want to take them apart and clean and lube all the washers on both the stand and the sticks with bow wax to avoid any unnecessary stand noises.
And to further silence your set up Stealth Strips work good to help avoid metal on metal contact on both the stand and the sticks
Yak grips, bicycle inner tubes or Stealth Strips on the strap buckles also works wonderful to avoid accidental contact noise
One other important area to silence is the contact points where the seat makes contact with the platform during transporting. here is an example of how and where to apply silencing material for this problem
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4EDfHTtdU[/bbvideo]
Last edited by Gibby on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:30 am

burkhart wrote:Spray paint dip it!
Get stick talons
Add third hand bow holder
Get Molle system

X2, add paracord or stealth strips to quiet setup

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Stealth strips are must have in my opinion. I also have the third hand bow holder. Mine is mounted to the platform. The bow stays in my hand as much as possible but you got to have somewhere to put it if you need to pee or take off your coat etc.

I also bought an extra bracket for my bow quiver and mounted it to the edge of the platform. I like to shoot without a quiver and the bracket mounted to the side enables me to snap the quiver right on as soon as I pull my bow up. I set it so the arrows are sticking straight up by my hand so I can grab an arrow quick for a follow up shot.

I have a molle waist belt which is nice but I tried the molle shoulder straps and didn't care for them. I bought a set of padded shoulder straps from summit treestands website. They are great, they attach easy, are comfortable and super easy to adjust.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:38 am

burkhart wrote:Spray paint dip it!
Get stick talons
Add third hand bow holder
Get Molle system

Can you explain the spray paint dip process?
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:19 am

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but has anyone tried the Lone Wolf tech quiver, for packing the sticks?

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:33 am

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the lone wolf strap extensions are handy to have with you in your pack. Take up very little room, weigh next to nothing and you will need them at some point to get in the correct tree.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:05 am

I bought one of these packs that attaches to your rig via bungee straps. Haven't used it yet on a hunt, but seems like a a good piece of equipment. http://www.gameplangear.com/productcart ... ategory=11
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”