noisy entrance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

megwan

noisy entrance

Unread postby megwan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:00 am

I am surrounded by hardwoods everywhere, and it is extremely noisy no matter how hard I try to get to my spot. Its noisy before the current seasons leaves drop. I am wondering what to do to get in unnoticed . even the swamps are surrounded by hardwoods. Any ideas.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cbay
500 Club

Re: noisy entrance

Unread postby cbay » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:09 am

Some of the thick areas here will have me blowing the deer out before i could ever get in to hunt them. I know many on here suggest not going in this late to season, but in my case it's either map out a route now or forget it. I say map out which means i'm preparing a route that will allow me to get in without hanging up on everything and remember how to get in there. Went in to a honey hole this week twice in order to get a route memorized. Got lost both times but now at least i'm sure i can get in there. Coming out at dark i'll probably get lost though. lol
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:22 am

go SLOW

USE THE WIND TO MASK YOUR NOISE (CHOOSE WINDY DAYS)

Use rain and wet ground to mask your sound

Move when there is background noise such as an over head jet, a passing car, etc.
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:09 am

I have some spots similar. As Dan mentioned, I marked my notes for those spots to say "Wait for Rain". I think wind would help also. I also have a combination of low swamp and a creek next to one of the spots and I plan to use that to get the majority of the way in, then I'll have to go slow for a few yards to get where I need to be.
megwan

Unread postby megwan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:35 am

I guess I'm probably going to have to find some new spots with easier access. I'm surrounded by public land and state that doesn't get hunted much til rifle season in Nov. So I'll have to start looking for new spots, and save the areas around my house for rainy, windy days or the rut. Ive thought of trying new ground every yeat , but never do. I guess its tough leaving my comfort zone.

megwan

Unread postby megwan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:37 am

If going slow enough have any of you got into your spot in these conditions undetrcted? I did watch your video on this that's what got me thinking about it. I'm actually been examining all of my hunting habits. I am tired of doing the same things with the same results every year.

JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:00 am

Get yourself a pair of moccasins or go barefoot/socks. Youd be amazed at how many twigs you can feel when you step so you dont put pressure on them and snap them. Id wear boots then switch out once you get in close and hide the boots somewhere
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:03 am

Ive raked or used a leaf blower on close sets on private land that are loud through the season. On public Id wait for rain, or good wind too.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 am

Wait for windy/ rainy / wet days. These are the days I pick for running and gunning. Last year 25/30 mph winds hid my set-up and I shot a giant right in his bedroom in the middle of the afternoon because of it. Without the strong winds, I wouldn't have even attempted that move.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 am

dan wrote:go SLOW

USE THE WIND TO MASK YOUR NOISE (CHOOSE WINDY DAYS)

Use rain and wet ground to mask your sound

Move when there is background noise such as an over head jet, a passing car, etc.

I have always had good luck doing these things except the back ground noise in some cases. Using back ground noise works good, but sometimes if your in a setting with a very common background noise you have to be careful about how much you think you can get away with. Because the deer get used to that noise and seem to be able to hear through it fairly good. I had a couple spots I was hunting about 11 years ago that were within 50 & 75 yards of a major highway. There was a lot of highway noise and I assumed unless I made a fairly loud noise the continuous flow of vehicles would cover my sound, but after a while I would notice that at certain levels of entry noise that I thought were easily covered by the sound I was only seeing young bucks or an occasional young doe, but when I didn't make quite as much noise I would see mature bucks relatively often. So one time while I was in the other spot further from that same bed I had a young buck about 30 yards away and decided to rub the bark lightly (Hemlock) while cars were going by and I was really surprised when he whipped his head around to see where that noise came from. I may not have heard that if it was dead quiet. The touchiest spot was the one closest to the highway because I was only about 55 yards from the bed, but even in the other spot about 135 yards from the same bed I had to be very careful about sound. The highway definitely helped, but the point is that because they were used to the near constant sound of the highway I couldn't get away with near as much as I expected. In other words don't let yourself be fooled into thinking a noisy environment will allow you to be a little sloppy.

When I was still in my teens I used to go out in the spring or early summer and rake paths to my spot so I wouldn't have a ton of sticks or twigs to worry about come deer season. That worked pretty well. One year I thought I would be smart and cut a narrow path through a decent size area of brush to make it a lot easier to get to my spot. That's when I learned that deer like to follow nice cut pathways too. lol

I quit raking my paths because I found trespassers were following them and then hunting/ruining my good spots.

I also tried carrying my boots and wearing a couple pairs of rag wool socks on each foot to reduce the number of sticks and twigs I broke and to muffle the sound of the ones I did break. It helped, but it seemed to be more hassle than it was worth at the time.

My favorite situation is right after some rainy windy weather while it is still breezy out. I seem to see good bucks a lot more often under those conditions (they just seem to move better) and I can get in close to their beds.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:36 am

I've got some situations this yr that have me scratching my head.. It's thick with briars or 4-5" deep with hardwood leaves. I've thought about tennis shoes and thick socks. For sure wind and dampness will help a lot!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:47 am

Get yourself a pair of chuck taylor all star shoes. They have a very thin rubber bottom almost like a moccasin. Amazing how quiet you can be with them. An old bowhunter told me about wearing them for hunting. I wear them often in the early season.

VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Get yourself a pair of chuck taylor all star shoes. They have a very thin rubber bottom almost like a moccasin. Amazing how quiet you can be with them. An old bowhunter told me about wearing them for hunting. I wear them often in the early season.

If you go to the Custom Chuck Taylor website you can get them in camo if you so desire; ) Just saying'...

http://www.viewbeforebuying.com/s/camo-converse
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:28 pm

VA5326 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Get yourself a pair of chuck taylor all star shoes. They have a very thin rubber bottom almost like a moccasin. Amazing how quiet you can be with them. An old bowhunter told me about wearing them for hunting. I wear them often in the early season.

If you go to the Custom Chuck Taylor website you can get them in camo if you so desire; ) Just saying'...

http://www.viewbeforebuying.com/s/camo-converse

That's pretty cool. Will have to look into those for my next pair…

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Anybody use squirrel call and blow it occasional when you walk in? You still make noise but deer may think its something else.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”