thoughts on approach

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tree_ghost

thoughts on approach

Unread postby Tree_ghost » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:33 am

here is the 500 acre private farm that is holding my #1 hit list buck. I am new to the "beast" tactics but I would like to be able to implement them in early season on this deer in particular. this buck is hitting the soybean field on average 2-4 times a week (at least that's what the trail cam is catching). In all probability hes probably using the field more than that. My question is where would you place the stand for this setup? I have a location in mind but I want to see if it coincides with the resident Beast hunters thoughts. Remember I am in Middle Tn and this is flat ground...also disregard the compass in the picture. The frame is orientated to true north and the predominant wind here is SW

BHC

Re: thoughts on approach

Unread postby BHC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:52 am

Field edge, half way to bed, as close to bed as possible in 3 consecutive evening early season strategy. Maybe enter from cattle field to try and avoid walking his trail in and contaminating it. During rut I'd hunt the top left inside corner and the funnel between the river and building in top right.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:58 am

I would continue to watch him, but would expect his pattern to change by season, but cross my fingers it don't... They are notorious for abandoning beans around the 1st week of September leaving many a hunter in tears...
When or if he dissapears, look for him in oaks nearest to bedding and stay mobile till you find him.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 am

What is the little clearing above and left of your yellow circle?
It lays correct for your wind direction if he was looking into the open area. I could see the daylight movement making sense from that point as well.
Your zoomed out a little far, have you found a winter aerial photo to study?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Tree_ghost

Unread postby Tree_ghost » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:56 pm

The open area is a big piece of exposed limestone. I haven't found a winter picture yet, seems that all of them are closer to summer than this one...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”