To Scout or not to scout

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Peeps22
500 Club

To Scout or not to scout

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm

With rain being forcasted the next two days here in WI, im debating about scouting the marsh where i have been shining all of those bucks under my "need advice" post. Ive shined the big guy the last two nights along with alot of other bucks. How many of you would go in tomorrow while its raining or just before it rains and try and find where these deer are bedding? Who would wait to go in "blind" with the stand on their back opening evening? Im torn between what i want to do. If anyone has any success/fail stories with doing either of the options that would help in my decision feel free to share.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: To Scout or not to scout

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:13 pm

I'd do what Dan did the past season with Mario, mark all expected bedding areas and hunt them 1 by 1 working your way deeper. Dan spoke of it some on the Wired to Hunt podcast last October. Just too close to season to run through their bedding area and risk pushing them out of their current bedding to feed oattern.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:47 am

This close to season I would wait...sit back and observe. ...

TO ME im finding out that in season scouting is the best way to figure out theses bedding areas.. winter and spring scouting just gives u an idea were to start once season comes.....it's real simple to walk the transition with stand on back during season and look for hot sign...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:16 am

I guess the only reason i want to scout this is because there is quite a bit of pressure in this area and i dont want to waste any time by setting up to only find out later they were bedding 300 yds away and by the time i keep working my way along transitions, the pressure might have moved them somewhere else public or private.

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:34 am

BigHunt wrote:This close to season I would wait...sit back and observe. ...

TO ME im finding out that in season scouting is the best way to figure out theses bedding areas.. winter and spring scouting just gives u an idea were to start once season comes.....it's real simple to walk the transition with stand on back during season and look for hot sign...

This /\ ..... But if you still want to scout a set up, Id definitely do it in the rain ...carefully.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:43 am

I agree with Tyler 100%, go in and scout it with the stand on you back during season, it's too close to season to show him your cards, I wouldn't risk it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:06 am

A couple of my good hunting buddies never stop scouting the marsh. They were out there yesterday getting neck deep in cattails, finding beds, marking spots, etc. They claim "the deer don't seem to mind", and they are successful every year. But they rarely get mature bucks, and are content with generally filling the freezer.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 am

Blind. No your map as well as you possibly can, and go for it the first good evening. Go in early and take your time! Blind can mean you run into unexpected scenarios. But try to know exactly where you think he is, and where you wanna be and do what's necessary to get there undetected..

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:49 am

It's a very tough decision and I doubt anybody on here will agree with me on this, but if you have no clue on where he is bedding other than "in the marsh" then it might be worth it. I try to never go in close to season if possible, but I have had good luck going in as little as three weeks before season (sometimes two) with good bucks. It doesn't always turn out well though. Depending on cricumstances (like time of year, pressure and how many bedding options he has) it works anywhere from 60%-80% of the time for me, but most of the nice bucks I have experience doing this with have been 3.5 (yearlings are usually back in less than a week). There were a couple 4.5+ bucks that it worked on, but I haven't done it with a ton of bucks in that age group. If you do it you have to do it all in ONE shot though and do it mid day. Bust you but and get out.

I find that it works best to make sure they hear you coming long before you get near them. I usually make plenty of noise on my way out and talk out loud like I have somebody with me because I don't want that buck to feel like he was in any danger whatsoever. Just some stupid human's that got lost or something. They are also much more likely to return sooner after there has been a good hard rain. I have had it work in a week (days actually) a couple times, but that was in situations where there was very limited options for safe bedding. If it works then great, but when it doesn't you end up kicking yourself. For me the noise and the rain make a big difference. Being in velvet seems to help, but I don't think I have done it quite this close to September on a velvet deer over 2.5 except for one 3.5 year old. Even though it has worked for me numerous times I have had times when they didn't return for a month.

Having said that, I rarely do this and it looked to me from the aerial you posted that you may be able to get a much better aerial view (closer & better angle) than what was posted and narrow down his potential bedding good enough to get on him and avoid the risk that comes from going in.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:24 pm

This is a darned if you do, darned if you don't. A lot of new guys to this method haven't scouted the beds because they didn't know till they came here and with the new found knowledge want to utilize it immediately. A lot of us, have taken years to find a learn the when's, why's of our areas. With the maps, topo and aerial, you can definitely give yourself a good chance at this buck, and cross of spots as you go, while also learning by the fresh sign in this area. What you learn this season, will be money in the bank next year, as well as good after season scouting. I'm not saying you can't get away with it, but to a lot of us, the risk of losing him before season starts isn't worth it. Being mobile and asking questions and finding the hot sign could produce big time results.

Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:04 pm

I decided to not go in and scout. I have spent the last 2 winters/springs scouting out beds but havent gotten around to scouting out this side of the marsh that time of year yet. Thanks for all the input guys. Went shining this morning a couple of hours before i started work here and caught 2 nice bucks at 5 am in the same field i have been seeing alot of bucks in around 9-10pm. Hoping there bedding close... Ill have to go in blind and walk the transitions with stand on back once season opens

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Peeps22 wrote:I decided to not go in and scout. I have spent the last 2 winters/springs scouting out beds but havent gotten around to scouting out this side of the marsh that time of year yet. Thanks for all the input guys. Went shining this morning a couple of hours before i started work here and caught 2 nice bucks at 5 am in the same field i have been seeing alot of bucks in around 9-10pm. Hoping there bedding close... Ill have to go in blind and walk the transitions with stand on back once season opens

8-) good luck to you
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:31 am

Thanks Bighunt! Were getting real close. Were you over in western wi this last weekend or the weekend before? Howd that go??

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:24 am

Peeps22 wrote:Thanks Bighunt! Were getting real close. Were you over in western wi this last weekend or the weekend before? Howd that go??

Last weekend. ..went great had 5 shooters show up on cam

Heading back Friday to glass and shine...check cams Saturday morning
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”