New Spot - Help Needed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AvidHunter88

New Spot - Help Needed

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi guys, I’m looking for some opinions on how you would hunt this parcel based on the following info. The first picture is just an overview and to show what crops are planted this year. The second picture is the same thing only zoomed in to where the orange arrow is pointing to a spot I’m interested in. Third are fourth pics are a topo and picture of the ditches I marked. I did some scouting and believe I found a buck bed and staging area. It’s really just a small chunk of Box Elder trees surrounded by some cattails and brush. The bed is where the red star is on my second picture and I believe he would be using this on a SW wind. The Box Elders were covered in rubs from years past. There are some tree’s near the grass fields to the NE where I could probably set some observation stands early on without getting too close. Once the crops are picked I can’t picture him heading into the open field during daylight. Do you think he only moves as far as that chunk of box elders until after sun down? I’m curious as to how you guys would hunt this…where you would set up, how you would approach, when you would try this sit etc. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

BHC

Re: New Spot - Help Needed

Unread postby BHC » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:17 pm

I'd walk that field edge and find where they are entering specifically the big tracks. I like where you marked the bed I'd hunt it with a SW wind on the edge of the corn field or just inside the thicket depending on distance and tree availability. The first throng that caught my eye were the two ponds in the N part of picture. Is setup catching them coming from that wood lot stopping to get a drink on the way to the field. If nothing else tho ponds may funnel movement. You could also watch that corn field a couple evening while they are on summer patterns to see where they are entering...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
AvidHunter88

Re: New Spot - Help Needed

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:25 am

Thanks for comments BHC. The chunk of Box Elders by the bed is only roughly 115 ft North to South and 100ft East ot West at it's widest points. I'd prob have to get to within about 100 ft of the bed to get in a tree. Not sure if that's too close to try a set up on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”