The growing global battle against blood-sucking ticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: The growing global battle against blood-sucking ticks

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:05 pm

I treat my clothes with permethricin. I used to use sawyers, I just started going to the co-op and buying 38% for a cheaper price and mixing it I my sawyer bottles. I don't
Get ticks with permethricin on my clothes... Yet.

I was using that baselayer that supposably stops ticks and chiggers. I don't know if it helped...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:11 pm

What are the odds that deer could smell that stuff? Granted your watching your wi
nd. Just curious
twksk8

Unread postby twksk8 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Dutch wrote:What are the odds that deer could smell that stuff? Granted your watching your wi
nd. Just curious

It's supposed to last 6 weeks or up to 6 washes... I didn't have any luck in AR last year, but had some success in Ohio - I'd offer that OH deer aren't as good at smelling, but yeah, that's probably not the case :P
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:35 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I hope they find a good biological control for ticks. I know the fungus Metarhizium anisopliae has shown promise. I hope it turns out to be a good option.

When I hunted KY I noticed there were very few fawns around even though the habitat was great because of an ice storm that took off a large percentage of tree tops allowing sunlight to reach the forest floor. I also knew they have a real bad tick problem. Deer numbers stayed low and fawn numbers were very, very low so I looked into it and found out the ticks were actually killing a lot of fawns.

Hundreds and hundreds of the rotten things were getting in the eyes, nose, mouth, etc of newborn fawns and when they get engorged they cause pain as well as block airways. Seeing a picture of a newborn fawn laying there with nose plugged with engorged ticks, eye 90% covered, etc and trying to survive really made me feel sorry for the fawn. I cannot stand the rotten little creatures. I hope they come up with a safe way to lay waste to the little buggers.

I know at LBL they have been complaining about the deer heard declining the last few years, mainly on the KY side. The TN side was not affected by the big ice storm but the KY side was. I wonder if the change from wide open timber to thick pockets from downed trees caused a boom in fawn tick contact. They haven't sprayed anything in years due to negative effects on nesting bald eagles. Might sound far fetched but it goes with the reasoning.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Ticks are no joke, my grandmother got lyme disease years ago and she had gotten swollen joints and a mess of health issues. Unfortunately she is no longer with us but after seeing the headache she went through I take a fair amount of precaution in the woods.

The best last line of defense against these is drinking 1 shot glass full of apple cider vinegar :shock: Easier said than done but drinking this once a day 3-5 days before a hunt keeps the ticks off of me. They may crawl on you but I can guarantee you that they will not bite or leech onto you. It's also supposed to cleanse your internals and be very healthy for you?

I'll probably end up using permethrin as well but the apple cider vinegar despite the taste has been working like a charm for me.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Ticks are no joke, my grandmother got lyme disease years ago and she had gotten swollen joints and a mess of health issues. Unfortunately she is no longer with us but after seeing the headache she went through I take a fair amount of precaution in the woods.

The best last line of defense against these is drinking 1 shot glass full of apple cider vinegar :shock: Easier said than done but drinking this once a day 3-5 days before a hunt keeps the ticks off of me. They may crawl on you but I can guarantee you that they will not bite or leech onto you. It's also supposed to cleanse your internals and be very healthy for you?

I'll probably end up using permethrin as well but the apple cider vinegar despite the taste has been working like a charm for me.

Apple Cider vinegar.............that's a new one I never heard.

At one time I laughed at the old timers that said a shot of blackberry brandy will kill a cold..........until I tried it and it actually worked a few times. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Watch this video from 7:00-9:22 and you will see some bad tick infestations on fawns. About two years ago I posted on this video hoping I could get a reply from Dr. Grant Woods and here is part of the brief discussion that followed:

MrWhiltetail 2 years ago in reply to GrowingDeer.tv
Thank you very much for replying! I just looked up the 4-post feeder. It sounds very promising. However, I'm a little concerned with the high levels of permethrin that would occur from the uncontrolled repeated application and the licking of the substance while grooming. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on this so that we may all learn from it? I'm not familiar with amitraz so maybe it is a safer alternative? Thanks a lot for your help!

GrowingDeer.tv 2 years ago in reply to MrWhiltetail
You should check out: extoxnet. dot rst.edu/ pips/ amitraz dot htm for more info about Amitraz. Amitraz is not approved for use on deer. The 4-poster feeder has been subjected to many research projects and I’m not aware of any negative results.The 4-poster feeder does require weekly maintenance year round – which can be a hassle and feeding corn year round is prohibited in several states.

GrowingDeer.tv 2 years ago in reply to MrWhiltetail
There are no tickicides licensed for free-ranging white-tailed deer that I’m aware except the 4-poster feeder. There is one manufacturer of those feeders. Prescribed fire can be used to reduce ticks – and the best results seem to occur when the fire are conducted during the late summer.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/-Sj2DpmDPx0[/bbvideo]

blizzardhunter wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:I hope they find a good biological control for ticks. I know the fungus Metarhizium anisopliae has shown promise. I hope it turns out to be a good option.

When I hunted KY I noticed there were very few fawns around even though the habitat was great because of an ice storm that took off a large percentage of tree tops allowing sunlight to reach the forest floor. I also knew they have a real bad tick problem. Deer numbers stayed low and fawn numbers were very, very low so I looked into it and found out the ticks were actually killing a lot of fawns.

Hundreds and hundreds of the rotten things were getting in the eyes, nose, mouth, etc of newborn fawns and when they get engorged they cause pain as well as block airways. Seeing a picture of a newborn fawn laying there with nose plugged with engorged ticks, eye 90% covered, etc and trying to survive really made me feel sorry for the fawn. I cannot stand the rotten little creatures. I hope they come up with a safe way to lay waste to the little buggers.

I know at LBL they have been complaining about the deer heard declining the last few years, mainly on the KY side. The TN side was not affected by the big ice storm but the KY side was. I wonder if the change from wide open timber to thick pockets from downed trees caused a boom in fawn tick contact. They haven't sprayed anything in years due to negative effects on nesting bald eagles. Might sound far fetched but it goes with the reasoning.

When trying to find out if ticks were killing deer I talked to several people from around the country and the senior biologist for LBL was one of them. He also uses Permethrin when in the field.

If I lived down there I would probably use this concentrate. A pint is $30 and will make 50 gallons and a quart is only $36 and makes 100 gallons. Just be careful to use it properly as this is a neurotoxin and is bad stuff. The natural version (Permethrin is synthetic) is much safer, but doesn't last long.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... An_j8P8HAQ
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed error of order
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:58 pm

I truly hate these things! Females can lay up to 3,000 eggs and some species can lay up to 20,000.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Stray dogs aren't lucky either.

This jar of ticks came off a dog that the owner brought into the vet just in time. They almost killed the dog because they brought his red blood cell count down to 10%, but they where able to save him with a full blood transfusion. They dog went from being fine to nearly dead in less than a week. It's easy to see how these things could have a major impact on fawn mortality in area's where they are bad like parts of western KY and other places.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:46 pm

twksk8 wrote:Have any of you treated your clothing with permethrin? I did last year and didn't get one on me. The week before I had upwards of 50 seed ticks on my arms and stomach.

Ooops, edit - Just noticed ThePreBanMan mentioned Sawyers - that's exactly what I use in early season.

I mix it from concentrate. It is much cheaper.

http://www.isd.net/~mhurwicz//tickproof/
Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:06 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
twksk8 wrote:Have any of you treated your clothing with permethrin? I did last year and didn't get one on me. The week before I had upwards of 50 seed ticks on my arms and stomach.

Ooops, edit - Just noticed ThePreBanMan mentioned Sawyers - that's exactly what I use in early season.

I mix it from concentrate. It is much cheaper.

http://www.isd.net/~mhurwicz//tickproof/
Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Great price on the 36.8% mixture Horizontal Hunter. Thanks for posting. 8-)

"Permethrin 36.8% SFR 32 oz Bottle for $27 (free shipping)"
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:43 am

I just stay out of the woods until we get a couple good heavy frost. I've used permethrin many times and still get them on me but not as bad. I soak down with "off" just to mow and weed eat my yard and still get a dozen or more every time. Bring back the DDT please, lol!!

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:25 am

Yes X 100 on Sawyers Permithrin. Treat all your clothes , boots and backpacks. Southern Ohio is Thick with the damn things and Sawyers really works for us. No noticeable smell after it dries. Those pics make me sick...Ticks are useless! :angry-steamingears:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 am

Twenty Up wrote:The best last line of defense against these is drinking 1 shot glass full of apple cider vinegar :shock: Easier said than done but drinking this once a day 3-5 days before a hunt keeps the ticks off of me. They may crawl on you but I can guarantee you that they will not bite or leech onto you. It's also supposed to cleanse your internals and be very healthy for you?

Good to know, I drink it because it's suppose to be very good for you, now I guess it's even better. Actually making my first home made batch of cider vinegar, of course I might have a few sips of the hard cider before it turns to vinegar. :lol:
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:53 am

headgear wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:The best last line of defense against these is drinking 1 shot glass full of apple cider vinegar :shock: Easier said than done but drinking this once a day 3-5 days before a hunt keeps the ticks off of me. They may crawl on you but I can guarantee you that they will not bite or leech onto you. It's also supposed to cleanse your internals and be very healthy for you?

Good to know, I drink it because it's suppose to be very good for you, now I guess it's even better. Actually making my first home made batch of cider vinegar, of course I might have a few sips of the hard cider before it turns to vinegar. :lol:

Hahaha I like where your head is at
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”