The growing global battle against blood-sucking ticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: The growing global battle against blood-sucking ticks

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:57 am

Dewey wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Ticks are no joke, my grandmother got lyme disease years ago and she had gotten swollen joints and a mess of health issues. Unfortunately she is no longer with us but after seeing the headache she went through I take a fair amount of precaution in the woods.

The best last line of defense against these is drinking 1 shot glass full of apple cider vinegar :shock: Easier said than done but drinking this once a day 3-5 days before a hunt keeps the ticks off of me. They may crawl on you but I can guarantee you that they will not bite or leech onto you. It's also supposed to cleanse your internals and be very healthy for you?

I'll probably end up using permethrin as well but the apple cider vinegar despite the taste has been working like a charm for me.

Apple Cider vinegar.............that's a new one I never heard.

At one time I laughed at the old timers that said a shot of blackberry brandy will kill a cold..........until I tried it and it actually worked a few times. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Oh it works! I'll have to try the brandy next time I get a cold ;)

But in all seriousness I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a tick attached to me, I find them crawling on me all the time but I haven't had to pull a tick out since I started using apple cider vinegar back in 2012 and I scout and work outside often. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for a tick infestation this Fall but I've been very lucky, now if I can avoid these chiggers....

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:42 pm

If you have lots of them around the house you can bet a half dozen chickens will get rid of most of them. I have 9 egg layers. Three are 1 yr old and 6 are 4 months old. They pic ants, skeeters, and I rarely see a spider anymore. Ticks are fair game. A few eggs in da morning are a sure bonus. Nice dark yolks and fresh. If neighbors complain, remind them what lymes disease is .
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:01 pm

ihookem wrote:If you have lots of them around the house you can bet a half dozen chickens will get rid of most of them. I have 9 egg layers. Three are 1 yr old and 6 are 4 months old. They pic ants, skeeters, and I rarely see a spider anymore. Ticks are fair game. A few eggs in da morning are a sure bonus. Nice dark yolks and fresh. If neighbors complain, remind them what lymes disease is .

Good to hear, I posted about chickens earlier in this thread but this is our first year, started with 24 and still have 18 chomping away and I have to say they are amazing little hunters in their own right. Can't wait to see the results next spring. Not to mention the eggs and putting a few in the freezer in due time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 am

I love chickens. They will flat put a hurtin on the bug population.... and the landscaping too!

Headgear, you got a rooster with those chickens?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”