I'm at 50% ...not too bad.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

I'm at 50% ...not too bad.

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 am

So there's an area that I always see good bucks when I'm out shining but never have been able to see them in daylight because the properties surrounding these fields are posted. I kind of narrowed down where I think they're coming from and it ended up being 2 properties that are both around 50 acres. I stopped at both places on two different occasions this summer but no one answered the door either time. So I ended up writing a letter to each of them asking for permission to archery hunt only. I always include as many ways for them to contact me (my mailing address, telephone number, email address, and offered to stop & chat in person). Within 3 days, I had received an email from both landowners; 1 saying no and the other giving me permission but explicitly for archery and not gun (which is fine with me!!).

So, I'm pretty excited to have a new property to get on this season! From what I can tell from the road, it's pretty thick and has some apple trees on it. I'm still trying to decide whether to do a quick crash scout through the property NOW or just wait until season and hunt my way from the fringes inward. What are your thoughts? Should I hang any cams or try to keep my disturbance to a minimum? This is only one of many properties that I have access to so I'm more looking for 1-2 awesome sets from this property this season. Archery doesn't start until October 3rd here in PA so I have a little over a month of time.

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: I'm at 50% ...not too bad.

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:46 am

Congrats! Good luck getting it done!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:47 am

Heck yeah, 50% is great when seeking permission! Congrats!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:45 am

Thats awesome man. Since you are looking for only a couple good sits from the property I would do a quick scout now, just one loop through the property trying to gain some intel w/o getting too intrusive, avoid suspected bedding but note the trails to those areas, see what apple trees taste the best and when they will drop, check for acorns and all that...I've never been a fan of going in blind unless absolutely necessary.

Knowledge is power and one quick loop a month before the season won't run anything out of the country.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:35 am

On a small unfamiliar property I like to ease in. I would hunt it opening day with stand on back. Start on the leeward side and kind of do an observation hunt. You could hang a camera at that time also. This would kill 2 birds, one stone and be pretty low impact. Just some food for thought.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:12 am

Very nice. I often wondered what response percentage letters would yield. So far for you 100%.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 am

dkoy85 wrote:Very nice. I often wondered what response percentage letters would yield. So far for you 100%.

A more accurate number is about 13%. Four years ago, to gain access to some private ground in Ohio, I did a letter campaign and sent out 300 letters. The breakdown was about like this:

300 letters sent = 40 replies (3-yes, 34-no, 3 -let's meet in person and talk about it (of which, 2 said yes and 1 said no)).
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:02 pm

I am sure the landowner can assist you on the whereabouts of deer are and more precisely where the big bucks are - have you approached the landowner for any questions
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I agree with Stanley....I would cyber scout it now and go in stand on the back first hunt and look for hot sign and ease in towards suspected bedding and set up

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”