Rut in the marsh?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Rut in the marsh?

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 pm

OK...hashing out the rut in bulk country big woods...

But I can't forget about my new found Marsh...I've pounded a fraction of it...struggling to find beds but when I did I about kicked myself..

Where are the hot spots to focus during the rut in the marsh?

I have a doe bedding area..actually a LARGE area..pretty wet and thick..a lot of big rubs in and around it...guessing the down wind side of that will be a good spot...

But where else? Those were the only doe beds I found which is odd to me...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Rut in the marsh?

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Concentrate on the trails near that doe bedding with rubs rather than just "down wind".. Bucks cruise in the thick transition around the edge of the marsh during rut. Find remote transition lines and then find a spot where they need to go thru a vulnerable opening along that transition where you can kill them. Use the "edge" as a funnel.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Rut in the marsh?

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:14 am

Thanx Dan!

That was my issue with using the transition edge and hunting it...its mostly thicket than thick...

The thicket all the doe beds were in is weird...its not part of the cat tail Marsh...but its wet and woody redbrush and trees where they can grow...its enters the hard woods from the Marsh and is a few hundred yards long into the hard woods...a lot of it is fairly wet..like a giant spring seep...

I GPSd a few hard rub lines going through it...and got a pic of a nice buck that'll be a biggun to me this year...that was Valentines day...

I think I have his bed and primary scrape so hopefully I can let the air out of him early..

After the hours I have scouting THAT buck and piece of Marsh I really would love to drag him out of there....

My Marsh looked different than yours in the videos...and I found such big rubs and got that daylight pic of him..I wasted way too much time scouting the hard woods and that thicket....to find out I walked RIGHT to his bed and eventually plotted a big rub line back to it...

His tree size was consistent...his tracks were there...I can't wait to hunt him...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”