Need some advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Peeps22
500 Club

Need some advice

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:06 am

I have been out shining and glassig ALOT lately and i have been seeing some really nice bucks just about everytime i shine this area. I have been seeing most of them where the red X is. I can hunt everything except the area with the yellow X's. I scouted part of this marsh in spring/winter but it was the other side. I didnt scout this side of it. There is one very large buck in particular im after and i believe he is going to score around 180" to 190". He is the biggest buck i have been seeing glassing/shining this year. I have other very good areas that i scouted and have hunted in years past but i am really excited about this deer. Do i go im after him right away as soon as the season opens to try and get to him before the pressure picks up, or do i hunt some of my spots im familiar with and have beds located and let this area sit until a little later in the season?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Gibby
500 Club

Re: Need some advice

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:17 am

How many others are hunting the area? What time of night are you seeing him? Do you have any idea where he is bedding and on what winds?
If you think you have a good chance at him first thing based on your scouting information and the conditions are right then I would say go for it, otherwise he may end up on another hunters wall if you wait too long.
If your not successful on the first try then maybe back off for a while until the conditions are right again or until you get the info you need to get on him again .
Last edited by Gibby on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:32 am

Ive been seeing them pretty consistently around 9:30-10pm shining. There are quite a few guys that hunt this so the pressure is pretty high. I have a rough area where these bucks are bedding just going off of the aerial pic. There are alot of transitions in this marsh and just curious to see how somebody would narrow them down to hunt them strategically. I would be going in blind in the afternoons after work.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 am

If you know where he is bedding then get on him the first chance you get that the wind is right.

If you don't know where he is bedding then go in and find out asap. Preferably right before a good rain and do it all in one trip. Don't try to sneak around, just get in there and get it done. Find the closest tree you can by his be without getting busted, figure out your entry/exit routs and get out. It should cool down and be ready to hunt in a few weeks. You can monitor the area by shining to determine when it's ready to hunt.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Go after him right away before his pattern changes. Take what you learned scouting the other side of the marsh and apply bit here. Take a good guess at bedding and keep mobile to you cross paths with him.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 pm

What does everybody think? Go in now and try to find where hes bedding? Or wait until i can go in with a stand on my back and get as close to guessed bedding from an aerial?

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:22 pm

I don't think anyone body can truly answer that question but u. Bc you know the area an all the details from people hunting it to how many possibles there could be that he is bedding at. Just comes down to do u want to know exactly where he will be or best chance on some situations or do u feel confident with not knowing an doing process of elimination with the possible spots based on the situation for that days hunt

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:24 pm

Peeps22 wrote:What does everybody think? Go in now and try to find where hes bedding? Or wait until i can go in with a stand on my back and get as close to guessed bedding from an aerial?

I'd go in with stand and sticks on the opener and hunt assumed bedding or any good sign (e.g. big tracks) coming out of any other potential bedding areas.

If other hunters know this buck is there, you may have to be prepared to relocate this buck if the scouting/hunting pressure ramps up.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:06 pm

I just took a closer look at that aerial. It seems that with a better aerial than the one you posted you may be able to get a pretty good idea of where he will be bedding and possibly do some long distance glassing from high up in a tree.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Peeps22 wrote:What does everybody think? Go in now and try to find where hes bedding? Or wait until i can go in with a stand on my back and get as close to guessed bedding from an aerial?

Stand on back ready to hunt.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:15 am

You have to hut him first chance. Things change, so make a try at him before he changes.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:15 am

Got out shining last night with the nice cold front coming through WI. The woman and i shined 21 bucks along the edge of this swamp last night around 9pm so there bedding pretty close to that field. Heres a couple of pictures. I was zoomed all the way in with the camera so some are a bit blurry but you get the idea. The last pic you can pick out a big rack. I did see the big one i was after but he was already in the woods a little by the time i shined him. There were 5-6 nice bucks out of the 21. I wish i could have gotten a better pic of the group while they were still somewhat together but they kind of scattered as i lit them up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”