found a nice shed atler

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

megwan

found a nice shed atler

Unread postby megwan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:42 pm

I was out spreading some clover seed, and my noticed my lab had found a really nice shed. It had at least 4 points at one time, but what was really nice was I could just barely get my hand around the base. Nice deer for my area. My question is how long ago it was shed. While my dog chewed on it he broke the end of the main beam which had already been chewed on by rodents. It also had green moss on it. Just wondering if the wolves didn't get him if he could still be alive.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: found a nice shed atler

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:04 am

It could be 5-10 years old- maybe more. Any pics?

BHC

Unread postby BHC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:41 am

I'd guess a couple yrs. They generally get cleaned up pretty quick by all the animals. Depending on how brittle it looked I'd say either two or 3

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 am

I'm still convinced that their are antlers that lay for years that don't get chewed up. You see those shed antlers that have grown into trees that have never been touched by animals. I have an antler of the super small 8 point, probably the smallest basket rack 8 point you have ever seen. I had him on camera 4 years ago and last spring I was walking through a cut corn field and I happen to look down and somehow saw it. I compared pics and it was for sure him from 4 years ago. I think these instances and far and few between but do happen. If a antler sheds in the woods, forget about it, those antlers are eaten up pretty quick but in some spots I think it can take a while.
megwan

Unread postby megwan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks for the responses I haven't had a decent buck yet on camera and was hoping to have something to shoot for. Still excited for the season. I can't post pics with my phone, and I stepped on my laptop the other night.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:52 am

Bigb is onto something. I found a 160" rack along with complete skull, it wasn't a shed. The deer died where I found it, as the complete skeleton was there. It was never touched by a rodent and was at least a year old. Found only a pile of bones in December MZ season, and it had its full rack.

I have heard that sheds get eaten on by the rodents and for some reason if they die with the antlers they are less likely to get eaten up. Might be a good question for Mark the biologist.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”