Best location for cellular camera?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Best location for cellular camera?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:37 am

I use IRs on foodplots and blackouts on trails, scrapes, or near stands. What do you think is the most productive/useful location to put a blackout cell cam?

So far I've just been playing w them near the yard for ground hogs and coyotes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Beast-Mode

Re: Best location for cellular camera?

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:52 am

burkhart wrote:And my cheeky comment would be these areas with good reception :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

x2 I have booster antenna and everything and mine is still pretty worthless....
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:50 am

Beast-Mode wrote:
burkhart wrote:And my cheeky comment would be these areas with good reception :)

I tried the booster with mine and still pretty unusable in most areas I hunt :shock:
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:36 am

Gibby wrote:
Beast-Mode wrote:

I tried the booster with mine and still pretty unusable in most areas I hunt :shock:

I have not been so lucky. Works great sitting on my kitchen table not so much in the woods...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:15 am

Which is why I still haven't purchased one, but man what a game changer it could be if it worked.

BHC

Unread postby BHC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:34 am

My opinion is the great potential of a cell cam is that it gives you real time data! It needs to be in a destination spot. Food, bed, primary super active scrape maybe, or maybe water. But the thing is I wanna recieve a pic of a buck at 4:00 am and know with some certainty that buck is close to my setup at dawn or even that evening! Trails can give very inconsistent data!

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Hmmm...

I think I'd try to get mine on the primary scrape if there is one...the one within 100yds or so of the bedding...

I think when they wake up and likely when they come back to bed they are likely to check on the scrape...

Where having it on a specific bed or specific trail leaves a lot to be missed...

I've seen some bucks have so many beds in a tiny spot tuat some guys would call it a doe bedding area...its just one buck bedding to get the best wind..or maximum sun light..or whatever the issue was..

Some with trails..I've seen some bedding areas with multiple trails...my Marsh beds I scouted are all like that....I'm gunna hunt over the scrape and hope when he wakes up he comes to it...when I am there hunting that first day I'm gunna hang may camera and leave it with Lithium's till after the season....only check it if I am back there hunting..won't give me live pics...but will give me a seasons Intel...

There is a scrape worn heavily just onnthe nearest always dry ground out of the Marsh...I have high hopes..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm debating on purchasing a couple cell cams for next year. My main areas I would use these are spots i DO NOT want my scent in until I go in to hunt. I think it would be almost a waste of money to put them on plots and field edges.

I want mine on secluded oaks near bedding

tough/thick/nasty areas (hard to get to, pain to check often)

specific beds

specific bedding areas

Long distance traveling (2+ hr travel distance)
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:00 am

That's a question that there's not likely one right answer.

My preference thus far is places of high activity in summer or near licks/bait if legal. For in-season, I prefer primary scrapes or travel routes around doe bedding that bucks are known to take. It is feasible to set a cam prior to the season and leave out, or do so when maybe taking an early-season poke at a doe and leave it throughout the rut phases. The data I am looking for in these scenarios is that trigger when bucks start to get on and stay on their feet in daylight. Usually we see an early daylight hit to a scrape by a good buck at the end of Oct. and from there daylight visits tick up, until you're getting consistent pics for a short window of time, and it trickles back down again, but steady for another week or so.

In 2013, I kept after the data tracking for one spot. Prior year data told us Nov. 4 to 8 were the days to be in the stand. On Oct 28, a target buck appeared at the scrape one hour before dark. A handful of "just after" dark photos were sent between Nov. 1 and 3. On Nov. 4, we got the right wind and one hunter hunted that spot in the evening. I was about 300 yards away on the other side of the marsh, and got a text pic of the target buck over the scrape. The hunter arrowed the buck high. Blood tracked all through that area on Nov. 5 with three people. No dice - arrow eventually found, but buck was not. In the early dark morning hours of Nov. 6 another, larger target buck, visited the scrape. Between 5:30 and 7:30 or so, he reappeared and spent two-three hours bumping does around that scrape. Several other good bucks showed up over the next 36 hours and then a tail off of pics took place, with some of these same bucks showing up again, but not the larger target buck. The next week to ten days were lower volume, and the spacing between the pics grew as the month wore on. By gun season's start, bucks started appearing after dark, save for one decent buck on the second day of the season (Nov. 15 gun opener). It simply reassured the prior game cam data that Nov. 4 - 8 are the hot days for that stand, and hunting it prior to that is much lower odds. No buck 2.5 or older appeared there before the end of Oct. It was solely a doe hangout. The primary scrape was such that the cam could be hung and doe beds were in the background. We did not set a cam there in 2014 and that was a major mistake for us. That stand was also not hunted with as high priority and was another mistake. This year, a cell cam will be set there and we will take advantage of it. The hope is that we catch that first prime opportunity when bucks start showing up rather than trying to guess within the window we believe to be accurate. My thought is the doe group there goes into estrous around that same time each year, thus the spike of chasing visits in a short period of time after a build up of "just checking in" visits before that and "what's left over" visits afterwards. Cams are run there later in the season and it's a ghost town for mature bucks.

If someone were chasing a single buck, or setting up for early season bed hunts, the answers would be different. Last year
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:24 pm

I used mine last year to help locate the buck I got on the 3rd day of bow season. I referenced the pictures that I got of him for the month prior to the season and checked the wind for those times. There were two bedding areas that he could be in and both would lead him by my stand in the afternoon. I waited until I had the NW wind and even though I didn't get a picture of him that day I had a good feeling that he would be in the bed and it turned out that he was. I left work early and he came out 1.5 hrs before dark.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:31 am

Great posts guys. Im thinking of combining the last 2 posts. I may try them on my best guesses for action on the opener, and if no luck Ill quickly move them to primary (or what I think are primary) scrapes. They can cool down for a few weeks until I see that window of activity begin.

Phade-Did the bucks generally approach the scrapes from downwind? Im trying to determine where Id put my stand on these scrapes.

Anyone else have success hunting scrapes and using cams, even non cell cams? Im curious how they approach, I dont normally see approach from downwind, but from the expected direction of normal cruising travel.

Im think I should put a black out cam on every scrape I know of at home to REALLY nail down the flurry of activity. Previous years tell me Nov 2-8 roughly, but I may learn something new.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:11 am

johndeere506 wrote:Great posts guys. Im thinking of combining the last 2 posts. I may try them on my best guesses for action on the opener, and if no luck Ill quickly move them to primary (or what I think are primary) scrapes. They can cool down for a few weeks until I see that window of activity begin.

Phade-Did the bucks generally approach the scrapes from downwind? Im trying to determine where Id put my stand on these scrapes.

Anyone else have success hunting scrapes and using cams, even non cell cams? Im curious how they approach, I dont normally see approach from downwind, but from the expected direction of normal cruising travel.

Im think I should put a black out cam on every scrape I know of at home to REALLY nail down the flurry of activity. Previous years tell me Nov 2-8 roughly, but I may learn something new.

The earliest daylight visit in Oct. of the target buck was from a trail that we expected the buck to take based on prior year sign and was downwind. As the pic frequency picked up, there were other approaches and at the peak, they were storming right through the bedding area itself. These pics were NOT consistently downwind.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:28 pm

I appreciate the feedback. If I can keep these things working, Ill put them in staging in my best 2 spots, from the creek access. Then move them to scrapes/cruising trails that I can hang a set near. This will be fun either way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”