Opposite of sky pulling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rancid crabtree

Opposite of sky pulling

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:39 am

The combination of getting a new bow and the sky puller thread got me to thinking last night as I continued breaking in the new Bowtech. Ive reduced my draw weight from the old bow set at 64 lbs to this new bow set at 57. Ive always liked holding the bow right in front of my face and close to my body when a deer is close enough to attempt a shot. Then I would extend my bow arm and finally draw with the string hand/arm.

With this new bow and the shorter brace height I have been practicing, trying to set as a form of drawing the bow while keeping my string hand close to my face while pushing the bow to full draw away from me and then completing the draw by pulling back the string hand the few inches it needs to be pulled to reach my anchor. Im finding this results in very little movement for an animal straight in front of me but noticing that this new form has new muscles sore. Im feeling it in the back of my shoulder. Its not bad or painful but I can tell Im using different muscle groups with this minimalist draw method. Am I alone in this method?

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Opposite of sky pulling

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:57 am

Yea I have done something like that a couple times too to avoid getting picked off but not practiced it, just had to try it in the tree.

It is using your shoulder, triceps and pectorals to draw the bow which is a weaker muscle group than the muscles in your back used with a traditional draw, sort of like a one handed push up. First thought is this might make your shoulder more prone to injury particularly when you are sitting in a tree for hours stiff and cold, although I would defer to a PT or trainer for a more educated response on that.

It also might make achieving "good" shooting form more difficult because you are not engaging your back muscles from the start but I am not a form Nazi so if you can maintain acceptable accuracy that way don't worry about that.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:59 am

I wait for the right time to draw, so doesn't matter how I do it. With today's let off that time could be sooner then exact shot opportunity. I rarely get busted drawing and the one time I recall I said too late and smoked him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:59 am

Your method sounds good, Ive done some similar stuff for awkward position shooting practice. You really find out quick if you are pulling too much weight for some scenarios.

I use a similar "locked back" shoulder position now to preserve whats left of my shoulder. Its kind of pushing and pulling with each hand, and very minimal movement. Seems to work well so far, but Ive dropped some weight down now. I think Im down probably around 60lbs now.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 am

kenn1320 wrote:I wait for the right time to draw, so doesn't matter how I do it.

I'm kind of with Ken on this one. I have had to sky draw a few times on very cold days all bundles up, hrs in the stand. :oops: I think most of us have, that have hunted much. A moving buck rarely spots you drawing. A buck in the thick brush won't pick you off very often. Windy days are great for the hunter bad for the buck picking you off. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:23 am

Stanley wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:I wait for the right time to draw, so doesn't matter how I do it.

I'm kind of with Ken on this one. I have had to sky draw a few times on very cold days all bundles up, hrs in the stand. :oops: I think most of us have, that have hunted much. A moving buck rarely spots you drawing. A buck in the thick brush won't pick you off very often. Windy days are great for the hunter bad for the buck picking you off. :think:

Missed the biggest I've ever shot at on a windy day. ;)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:35 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Missed the biggest I've ever shot at on a windy day. ;)

I have killed a lot of good bucks on windy days. I would much more prefer wind than calm.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:48 am

Never really thought about it before but I have had to draw like that in the field, not with the string touching my face through, more like halfway between there and bow arm extended...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”