Shifting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Shifting

Unread postby BHC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:49 am

Checked cams yesterday. Notice some late summer shifting going on. Got 3 new mature bucks on camera and lost one. Velvet will be coming within a month. Anyone else seeing any late summer shifting yet?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHunt

Re: Shifting

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:01 am

not yet.... i usually start getting big boys on cam right around this time of year into September ...

going to western Wisconsin this weekend to glass,shine and check cams
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 am

I am hopefully checking cams on Friday on my land in the bluffs of vernon county.I'm hoping to get a horizontal rub placed in the same place as last year also.only this year I will place it 6inches lower.last year I had activity just had it a bit to high.I'll let you know if there has been any shifting.the buck I hunted last year did not show up until sept 10th I think.after this check and battery change it won't be touched till u hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:21 pm

It will be interesting this year for shifting. Usually we don't get decent/good bucks until late August early September. This so far we have 1 good and 1 decent all summer. Makes me wonder if the good will stay around or be out of dodge come here soon and wondering what will show up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:00 pm

tim wrote:I am hopefully checking cams on Friday on my land in the bluffs of vernon county.I'm hoping to get a horizontal rub placed in the same place as last year also.only this year I will place it 6inches lower.last year I had activity just had it a bit to high.I'll let you know if there has been any shifting.the buck I hunted last year did not show up until sept 10th I think.after this check and battery change it won't be touched till u hunt.

I'm pretty interested in this, if you have time to do a little write up about how and where you set it up that would be helpful.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Was a great night for glassing in SE WI tonight, deer were out early. Saw 2 bucks on one of my leases that I haven't shined or glassed yet this year, both shooters. Saw another shooter in a different lease that I had shined twice a few weeks ago about a mile away from where I saw him tonight. I saw a few of the other targets too, but noticed the bachelor groups changed a bit. Had 4 that have been together since early June that were now split up. The two shooters moved to a different bedding area, coming into field at different spot, and the two smaller bucks are on the same pattern they've been on since June. So, I think the beginning of the shift is happening.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:00 am

Yea starting in August every year I see bucks moving around more. It seems to coincide with antlers switching from growing to hardening so probably related to testosterone starting to rise.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:53 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea starting in August every year I see bucks moving around more. It seems to coincide with antlers switching from growing to hardening so probably related to testosterone starting to rise.

Great point. I agree, the antlers for the most part are done growing. When this happens the bucks get a little more edgy every day. I think a lot of people think the antlers keep growing until the velvet drops off. Now the bucks need to feed up to replenish themselves from the antler growing cycle. I believe this is also, why we see an increase in activity.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 am

Stanley wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Yea starting in August every year I see bucks moving around more. It seems to coincide with antlers switching from growing to hardening so [glow=red]probably related to testosterone starting to rise[/glow].

Great point. I agree, the antlers for the most part are done growing. [glow=red]When this happens the bucks get a little more edgy every day.[/glow] I think a lot of people think the antlers keep growing until the velvet drops off. Now the bucks need to feed up to replenish themselves from the antler growing cycle. I believe this is also, why we see an increase in activity.

I have seen some knock down drag out fights immediately after the velvet comes off and have killed and seen trail cam photos of bucks with broken tines/beams in early October. I think there is quite of bit of activity occuring during this time to establish the social heirarchy.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:32 am

One property I hunt barely holds a buck till October. Does are there all year. I save that spot for the rut.

One thing I've noticed starting about now is soft mass is starting to drop and I don't see the deer in the beans like a month ago. Seems to be the case every year. Alot of mulberries. Those always drop and ripen mid to late August. Deer are on them.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:19 am

Hawthorne wrote:One property I hunt barely holds a buck till October. Does are there all year. I save that spot for the rut.

[glow=red]One thing I've noticed starting about now is soft mass is starting to drop and I don't see the deer in the beans like a month ago.[/glow]Seems to be the case every year. Alot of mulberries. Those always drop and ripen mid to late August. Deer are on them.

That's a good point. I am seeing deer pulling off beans too in the last couple weeks in the field behind the house. Now they are just grabbing a few bites of beans as they cross the field instead of filling their belly.

I also have quite a few spots where I couldn't find a big buck all summer long if my life depended on it but come October they are lurking all over. Often around major doe groups, honey draws flies :D
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:21 am

Been seeing some shifting for sure, wouldn't mind more big ones shifting my way. We have good food so hopefully.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:30 am

Droptyne, I went and cut my treebranch today for my horizontal rub.I took it off a whitepine around wrist thick.last year I placed it too high I had it thigh high.this year it will be knee high.I use thin cable with u-bolts to fasten and leave loose so deer can knock it around when rubbing.I place it rignt on the side of a natural deer runway on top of a n/s runnin ridgetop.right near it I create a mock scrape also and tied a good overhanging branch above it.last year I started it way too late so I want it in place much earlier this year as I feel I missed out on major action. I'll maybe start a seperate topic on this as the season goes along if I get some good action over this.

attackone

Unread postby attackone » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:29 am

Pretty sure that my FIL got a pic of a buck already out of velvet and read on AT that others have been spotted...its getting closer
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:55 pm

tim wrote:Droptyne, I went and cut my treebranch today for my horizontal rub.I took it off a whitepine around wrist thick.last year I placed it too high I had it thigh high.this year it will be knee high.I use thin cable with u-bolts to fasten and leave loose so deer can knock it around when rubbing.I place it rignt on the side of a natural deer runway on top of a n/s runnin ridgetop.right near it I create a mock scrape also and tied a good overhanging branch above it.last year I started it way too late so I want it in place much earlier this year as I feel I missed out on major action. [glow=red]I'll maybe start a seperate topic on this as the season goes along if I get some good action over this[/glow].

I'm particularly interested...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”