After Work Hunts. Hurt more than good ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brus

After Work Hunts. Hurt more than good ?

Unread postby Brus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:35 am

I work a job where alot of times I can sneak away at 3 oclock or so. After the time changes in the last week of October that means I usually only get 2-3 hours of sit time in a stand . Before the time change in October I can usually get 3+. Im busy about 50% of the weekends except my week of vacation in November. My question is , is it in my best interest to hunt the week I have off and the weekends ? Or are the weekday hunts pushing mature deer out of my area? I hunt private farm ground with generaly small tracts of timber with one other guy (who last year only sat once) and have a strict schedule on how I play the wind and enter my stands. Opinions ? ? ?

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: After Work Hunts. Hurt more than good ?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:02 am

I do this at home. If you are careful and plan well it can be minimal impact. It totally depends on layout of the land. I've built a very cool area that I can get in n out without deer knowing. Works best late season, or with a perfect access route. It def restricts you from hunting certain spots until you have more time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 am

If you are worried about burning out the small chunk of land you have why limit yourself to only hunting there? Find some new spots and the hunt the heck out of them, sure beats putting too much pressure on one spot or not hunting at all.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:13 am

I am pretty sure the majority of my big bucks were shot on week days after work on 1 to 3 hour hunts.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:28 am

I sometimes wonder if those all day hunts, hurt us, more than they help us... I mean, you are stinking up the woods all day long, but a quick little after work hunt, doesn't give as much time to carry your scent all over the woods...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 am

I kind of think you have to be in the stand to kill a buck. I don't like short hunts. I kind of like to get into the stand and dry out before it's time to quit. That said I have hunted after work many times even if just for 30 minutes. I killed a buck in 1976 on a 30 minute after work hunt. I burned my vacation and it was late in the season. Back in the day I hunted every minute I could.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brus

Unread postby Brus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 am

Interesting . I will have to keep hunting them then , I'm not limited to a small chunk of land . In fact I have 8 stands on 5 different parcels a few miles apart so I try to break up how often I'm in them . It sucks cause in hill farm country you really have to hoof it to get to a safe entry route . Some take me up to 20 minutes to walk there .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 am

I hunt a lot after work, it works out well for me to take a couple hrs vacation time and leave work early for a hunt as opposed to saving a big chunk of time for a vacation. You mentioned you are taking precaution to your stand access and playing the wind, with that said, I would still mix it up and hunt other properties so you don't burn out your small piece. Hunt that property when the time is right, but I would for sure be taking advantage of after work hunts wherever that may be.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:23 am

8 stands ain't alot... thats 8 hunts to me, I sit 8 stands in 10 days. I would get a mobile set up as well and hop around and try new spots and areas too.
Brus

Unread postby Brus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:34 am

dan wrote:8 stands ain't alot... thats 8 hunts to me, I sit 8 stands in 10 days. I would get a mobile set up as well and hop around and try new spots and areas too.

Got an XOP sticks and Stand with Molle straps on them . Was wondering Dan, do you ever sit in fencline trees ? I live in Western Iowa where alot of times there will be 10-20 trees in a fencline connecting big timbers together but over the course of a mile (1 section of land ) . I often see alot of scrapes along these trees but have hunted them in the past with very limited success. Doesn't seem like much of a pattern to the deer I see but in my mind seems like theyd be good travel corridors for the rut. Opinions ?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:42 am

I don't think there is any wrong answer here...

As long as your playing a steady wind when you hunt your locations (steady is key).
Swirling winds certainly won't help maintain whatever integrity you can plan for on any grounds for the most part, especially for smaller parcels.

I personally can't hunt everyday, so I cross out rain and heavy wind days - just haven't had any luck.

I do like the ending of rain with drizzle though, so if I see the forecast is in tune with that variable, I will try and manage a hunt...

I have killed over half my deer in the last 20-minutes so all you need is 45-minutes sometimes, don't discount short hunts~
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:44 am

I am a firm believer in hunting when you can. As Dan said grab your stand and bounce around. You never know what you will find when you bounce around.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:45 am

I killed my biggest buck on a 2 hour hunt after work while hunting in my work clothes and boots. I killed another buck last season with the same scenario and only a 1 hour hunt. I was also wearing my work clothes and boots but I had a ghillie suit on over the top as I was hunting on the ground that evening.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 am

Brus wrote:
dan wrote:8 stands ain't alot... thats 8 hunts to me, I sit 8 stands in 10 days. I would get a mobile set up as well and hop around and try new spots and areas too.

Got an XOP sticks and Stand with Molle straps on them . Was wondering Dan, do you ever sit in fencline trees ? I live in Western Iowa where alot of times there will be 10-20 trees in a fencline connecting big timbers together but over the course of a mile (1 section of land ) . I often see alot of scrapes along these trees but have hunted them in the past with very limited success. Doesn't seem like much of a pattern to the deer I see but in my mind seems like theyd be good travel corridors for the rut. Opinions ?

I hunt spots like that in rut... If there isolated, & have good sign. Outside of the rut I stick to being close to bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”