How to get the deer to stop in the right shooting lane

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

How to get the deer to stop in the right shooting lane

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:44 am

Guys some of you have read my "Hes on to me thread" The shooting lanes might get a little tight where I will be hunting. I am trying to think of ways to get deer to stop in the right lane. I have thought about making a mock scrape right where I want him to stop, and hope he checks it out. Do you think this is wise, or could alert him to my presence there. I am a bit worried that if I make the scrape, it may just educate him. The buck is a smart old public land PA buck. I imagine he has seen all of the tricks in the book.

Do you think I should just let things go all natural and try and stick him when he gos to get a drink, without changing any of the natural environment, or get aggressive and try and make him check the mock scrape. If I would do the mock scrape rout, when should I put it out, the day of the hunt?

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Bucky

Re: How to get the deer to stop in the right shooting lane

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:53 am

No mock and I wouldn't mmmmmurp him either... be patient and wait for the shot. Just make sure you actually have a few shooting lanes

On does... I sometimes put an apple core (of my eaten apple) from my fanny pack where I want em to stop... seems to work well :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:33 am

Agreed with Bucky, just be patient and wait for the shot as natural as possible, if he is moving at a good pace you might have to let out a little brrr but I try to avoid that when I can.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:29 am

Bucky wrote:No mock and I wouldn't mmmmmurp him either... be patient and wait for the shot. Just make sure you actually have a few shooting lanes

On does... I sometimes put an apple core (of my eaten apple) from my fanny pack where I want em to stop... seems to work well :lol:

Spot on... Stay out till kill time.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:55 am

Try a licking branch with some preobital/forehead scent. If the goal is to stop him for a shot all while he is occupied with something else that does not alert him. This is an option.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:59 am

rancid crabtree wrote:Try a licking branch with some preobital/forehead scent. If the goal is to stop him for a shot all while he is occupied with something else that does not alert him. This is an option.

When would you put this out? In order to put this there, one would also be putting out their human scent, so just curious how you avoid the buck spooking from your scent while checking out the preorbital scent?
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:19 am

Thats the beauty of creating a licking branch exactly where you want vs trying to set up on a natural scrape you discover. You set it up in Aug. (now) in a location that works to your advantage as a bowhunter taking into consideration all the things we bowhunters have to when selecting an ambush site. Then dont hunt it when the wind is wrong.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:53 am

Ask Mr. Buck politely and say please!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:40 pm

How far can you pee from your tree? Enough to shoot your shooting lane?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 am

Clear a small 3ft x 3ft area in the leaves, take a stick to scrape the soil. Animals are naturally attracted to fresh tore up earth. I've used this for trail cam surveys on public land where I wasn't able to bait with great results.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:59 am

Seems pretty sneaky.

I thought about doing that a little bit off of my stand but making a "wizzer mock scrape" I was never one to use the old Pee Bottle.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”