I wanna argue!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: I wanna argue!

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

In the above photo It looks like his right main beam (end forks) Is catching the tree on the right while he's rubbing the tree on the left. Nice buck I'd say.

My theory on rubs Is also height. Height to me Is everything BUT I also look how deep the rub Is too. The deeper the rub to me means the buck has some weight to It.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: I wanna argue!

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:36 am

Well, what about the size of the tree + height?? Dan - your best guess, please.

Diameter don't mean didly.
As Shultzy kind of pointed out, you can pick out other clues besides age from a rub too... Looking close rather than just saying "cool" you can pick out where the point tips are hitting and get a guess on tine hight, or adjacent brush marks can give you and idea of rack size.
I was scouting at one of Joe Gizdics ( owner of tall tines outfitting ) farms and found some rubs that had a distinct mark on one side below the main rub. I new there was a big drop tine buck just from the rubs. Joe later confirmed that with video and pictures of a giant drop tine buck right in the same area of that farm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”