Buck Bedding Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dutch

Buck Bedding Question

Unread postby Dutch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Where I reside and hunt the landscape has drastically changed. Most of our farms are gone. Sold off to real estate developers. Or overgrown and back to wooded lots. The area is basicaly wooded lots broken up by the suburbs. But we have a fair amount of areas that are so thick with briars, wild grapes, bitter sweet and so forth. So thick you can't make it through with out cutting a trail. It got me thinking about bedding. If a buck could pick his ideal bedding area out of any landscape what would he choose? Would it be cover so thick that humans couldn't pass through? Or thick cover on his back side with the wind and good vision to his front? Or the leeward side of a point? If he had the choice what do you think he would take?

remmag
500 Club

Re: Buck Bedding Question

Unread postby remmag » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Whatever he feels the most secure in. I've often heard of bucks traveling miles from bedding to food sources so I believe that convenience isn't really a important factor to them when choosing primary bedding. I've found buck bedding in all three of those types of terrain you mentioned. I've heard people say numerous times that they found bucks to favor bedding where they also have a visual advantage, which I think is probably true in alot of cases. But in the area I hunt I find most of my beds in thick, almost impenetrable sections and doe bedding on edges and valleys.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TNstalker

Re: Buck Bedding Question

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:40 am

Whatever gives them the upper hand. I found a bed this year that is off the side of a field that makes a point an drops into a draw. Not much cover but can see really well couple different directions an has couple different thermals working there for morning an evening. Buddy told me bout a spot in Missouri where he hunts some ground that the bucks would bed in a low spot by a sapling in the middle of a field. U couldn't see the low spot just looking at the field but the sapling u could. So thick is always good but it's really what gives the the best advantage.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”