Area getting logged

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Area getting logged

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:15 am

One of the wood lots I had planned to hunt is getting logged out....not totally, but a lot. How long would it take the deer to move back in after all this? It is a 30 acre square lot surrounded by soybeans.
Also, while there are wood lines all around the property (20 or so yards wide), the next closest wood lot is about a half mile away, is it likely the deer would gravitate to that or simply hang more in the wood lines that meander through out the property?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Area getting logged

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:29 am

If they are logging it now there going to kick the deer out to other nearby hideouts for a while, but it should get really good in the next couple seasons as new growth comes in.
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:31 am

dan wrote:If they are logging it now there going to kick the deer out to other nearby hideouts for a while, but it should get really good in the next couple seasons as new growth comes in.

This is good to know. The DNR and forestry service in my state has allowed logging in certain areas of national forest and state lands. They say it will benefit all wildlife.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:03 am

I totally agree on that and it was really too shady in the woods...no undergrowth. Do you it'd be screwed for this season?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:30 am

mheichelbech wrote: Do you it'd be screwed for this season?

No, I don't. I've seen woods being logged and the deer were back in it at night while the logging was going on. If the loggers are finished the deer will be back in short order. Just a bit different.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 am

I would check the old travel routes, creek crossings, an hill sides close to or on the way to food sources. The deer can hide in the wide open area behind anything. It want take long for them to start to filter in again.

I'm faced with hunting new cut overs every few years. I use to think it destroys an area. But it doesn't . Lot of times it can work to your benefit. You just have to do your homework.
Last edited by Ghost Hunter on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 am

Might be thick enough by next season, two for sure, then crazy thick after that.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:16 am

Many logging operations leave the tops. These make for good cover and browse. Chances are good the deer will get back in there before season. Hopefully a mast crop will remain standing to keep the deer interested. As summer ends, walk the perimeter. The tracks will tell you all you need to know.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:56 am

Depending on how and when it is logged, I've seen fresh logging be a deer magnet.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:17 am

Glad to know all this. I knew it would help for next year but wasn't sure about this one.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:38 pm

I've seen and killed bucks in first year cutovers still using subtle terrain features in the cutover where the runways used to be. I don't know. Apparently in those cases it was about the bucks sticking with the terrain features and wanting to get from point A to B. During the rut though...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:33 pm

A few spots I hunt have been logged previously and usually the first year of logging due to very minimal undergrowth and less trees you end up with a dead woods besides the odd cruiser but the next couple years after can be good! With all the tops laying on the ground and thick vegetation, you may end up having access to a new top notch bedding thicket

Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:35 am

Down here in Sc our wood lots get logged all of time. When the saws cut off the deer move back in that night to eat the remaining limbs and leaves. Last year the hottest area I found on our club happened to be logged in November. In December I found it and it had more runs, scrapes and sign than the other 1400 acres combined

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:40 am

Deer probably never left. They will be curious about the logging. The logging will drop food to the ground now. The deer will be in there at night. The day the logging ends, the deer will come right back, unless your talking clear cut. When light hits the forrest floor , it's good for the deer, it brings new life.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”