Running to your stand/tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

Running to your stand/tree

Unread postby ZSV » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 am

I listened to a podcast on wired to hunt today that they talked about running to your stand instead of sneaking. It was a podcast from last year about rut lessons learned. I think they were just talking about doing it on dry calm days when it's pretty impossible to be quiet. They also made the comment that it might resemble the sound of chasing...

Anyway, the way they presented it it didn't sound like a bad idea. Has anyone ever tried this and had success?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
welded34
500 Club

Re: Running to your stand/tree

Unread postby welded34 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:20 am

No I have never tried it but I have been thinking about doing it. I'm pretty sure dan has shot a buck out of its bed doing this. I think he wrote a story about it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:45 am

Yes I was getting in late to an am stand and there were deer close but not on top of me, I had a fork coming right at me and rather than be sneaky I decided to hustle into the stand. I had to cross a fence and only go 8 yards or so but I went fast and loud and it scared the little guy away without snortfest, without scaring the other deer.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:52 am

No, thanks.... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:57 am

I have more than once... deer tend to run off... but don't blow up the joint snorting
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:14 pm

I have never done it personally but a hunting buddy has before and said within minutes deer have came in to check it out. For me, Silence is key so I don't think I would ever run

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:42 pm

I would never do this when sneaking in to hunt a buck bed but could see it working during the rut. One time I was walking in to my spot right at opening and got busted by a doe. She snorted at me, stomped her feet and ran off. Shortly after a buck came by checking out the commotion and ended up getting an arrow in his lungs. From the direction he came there's no way he smelled her but went off the noise she made. Although I didn't kill mine due to running if you can mimic that chasing sound I truly believe you could attract a peak rut crazed buck. Strange things can and do happen during that time.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I do it leaving all the time when I have to cross a field. In a perfect world Id have other access or entry/exits. But, you gotta find ways to make it work for you in your neck of the woods. Ive never done it on the way in...only way out.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:26 pm

I saw Barry wensel do it years ago in a hunting video. I thought it was crazy back then. I started a few years ago mimicking a deer walking in crunchy leafs. You put your toe down make a crunch noise then snap your heal down to make another crunch noise. I've done it the last 100yds to my stand. I have had deer walk out of bedding areas that evening that I know could hear it. For slobs tho, I would think Dans method of getting to a treestand is better.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I saw Barry wensel do it years ago in a hunting video. I thought it was crazy back then. I started a few years ago mimicking a deer walking in crunchy leafs. You put your toe down make a crunch noise then snap your heal down to make another crunch noise. I've done it the last 100yds to my stand. I have had deer walk out of bedding areas that evening that I know could hear it.

You beat me to it, hawthorne :lol: I've done the same thing as you... try to imitate a 4 legged creature. Every time I have ever done this on the way to my stand, I simply do not know if it worked or not... never had one spook, never had one come in and investigate. I did try it once with a little buck out in some corn stubble (on my way back to my truck after an evening hunt). He wasn't fond of it.

Last year I ran a couple hundred yards across a chisel plowed corn field, and hid in a drainage with a half hour of light left. Minutes after I sat down I had some does and a little buck come in. I'm not sure if they could hear me running or not, but if I would have walked to my spot they surely would have seen me out in the open. In that situation is was a successful tactic.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:12 am

I've tried it a couple times, can't remember if I saw anything less or more but I know I didnt shoot a buck that night.

About 6 years ago I was walking into one of my stands and had to cross an 8 foot ditch in the woods and somehow at the top caught my foot and slipped and slid down crashing a lot of branches and leaves along the way. I get to the bottom, stand up and curse at myself for being careless. As I'm getting up there is a creek about 25 yards away and I hear some water splashing and see some ripples on the water. There are usually a few ducks in that creek so I assume that I kicked the ducks up. 10 seconds later I look over and there is a 140" buck staring at me at 20 yards. He heard the noise and figured it was another buck and was mad. I had no chance to get bow up but he 100% came in to all the crashing noise I was making.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:40 am

I've thought about doing this to check certain trail cameras where I know I'll bump deer checking it. Figure they'll react more favorably to that rather than sneaking in.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:01 am

I could see it working in some situations, deer will react a lot differently.

I have jogged in to stands before just due to distance. Its hard for me to justify spending 3 hours walking in and out. Saves a lot of time, a couple of my hardest to reach spots just are not worth it otherwise. I can cut a 1.5 hour walk down to 30 minutes that way. Problem is I tend to get sweat up doing that even stripping down to a tshirt unless its pretty cold and jogging in hunting boots isn't all that fun.

I often jog to pull/set trail cameras to save time.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:14 am

If I tried that I'd be tangled in vines, brush sticking through my ears, sliced up and up to my neck in water lol

Make It Happen
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:04 am

I would have broken ankles from all the armadillo and rabbit holes.. Not to mention dying of heat exhaustion in our 90+ heat during the early season.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”