Crossing Upwind of a Bedding Area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Crossing Upwind of a Bedding Area

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:50 am

Ok so much of the public land I hunt is surrounded by private so a lot of the time my access points are limited. I have tried to wait for the perfect wind but it hasn't come this season and I only have about 4 hunts left before rifle season hits and if possible I would like to hit my best spots soon. I will stay as far away as possible but what might be a safe distance to cross upwind of the bedding area? Or is this not an option?

Just to get a feel for the area, its in the country but there are scattered houses and a few small developments within a half mile of the bedding area. Also a few roaming dogs too. My plan would be to cross upwind by about 350 to 400 yards and swing around, then sneak in close to the beds. Any thoughts on this? Going scent free probably isn't an option, I am heading out strait from work and I have about a mile hike in so I will probably work up a little sweat. I should say I do have some other options but they aren't scouted out nearly as well as this area.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Crossing Upwind of a Bedding Area

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:22 am

With only 4 hunts left you don't have to many options left. I would stay as far as you can from the bedding trying not to cross the exit route the deer will use from there bedding area. If you need to cross there exit route make it within shooting distance of where your stand will be, so when they get your scent it will be to late for them. You have to go for it now before the orange army messes it up for you.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Wrinkle makes some good points... Let me add that if you need to letb your wind hit that bedding area with no choice in the matter, go out extra early and get past at a quick steady pace... Getting out there and passing by early will give them time to forget about you.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks guys, according to the weather man I will be hitting this spot tomorrow afternoon. I will have plenty of time to sneek in there and will be hustling across upwind of the bedding area at about 400 yards away.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:43 am

Good luck!!! Make sure you keep us up to date with how things went for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”