Ozonics? For those that own one...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Ozonics? For those that own one...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 am

I don't have to own one to know its pixie dust.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:01 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I've been experimenting with this thing for a while now. Both having it run above me while observing deer and also observing the unit from a distance in the presence of deer. Based on what I've seen, I think it "works" but the mechanism is different than I originally anticipated. First off, I believe there is very little scent elimination going on. There is likely some oxidation of volatile odor components, but I suspect the hunter is still broadcasting a partial scent fingerprint in addition to the skin rafts flying off the body. I don't think the primary mechanism is scent reduction either.

Rather I think the primary mechanism of ozonics effectiveness is chronic anosmia. It is essentially a nose jammer. Ozone is concentrated near the receptors just like scent. Due to ozones high solubility it concentrates well and is not immediately "washed away" by proteins. The elevated ozone in the zone of olfaction attacks the area as well as any scent being brought in. Once they move away from the source, the ozone is "washed away" from the olfactory zone and the ability to smell is restored.

I think this is also why I think deer can be alarmed by the it. It isn't necessarily the smell of ozone, it's the temporary complete or partial loss of their sense of smell! I'd be afraid too.

Is Ozonics worth it or not? I'm still on the fence. There are clear positives and negatives for hunting in addition to the health risks if set up to elevate your exposure.

Just my 2 cents after further review of this product.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My aching head...
So it sounds like it might work, but it might not.
Or was was it - it doesn't work, but it could?

Who's on first?

Actually a combination. It might work, but it could. :lol:

Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 am

cdeam wrote:I have a good idea what your experience will be. Now I'm just curious if they'll actually give you your money back!!!

MN Slick wrote:I tried the Ozonics unit a couple years back and was not impressed. Returned it and got my money back.

Seems like there is nothing to worry about when it comes to getting the money back if your not satisfied
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:41 pm

My brother had a house in Chicago that he had to take control over. It had something like 50 cats living in it, no liter boxes, just went where ever they wanted. The owner didn't care. Ripped out the carpet and let some industrial ozone machines run for a couple days and the order that wasnt even tolerable to the human nose before now was almost gone. If I can find a way to get one to work in a large tupperware container I'll buy one.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Bigb wrote:My brother had a house in Chicago that he had to take control over. It had something like 50 cats living in it, no liter boxes, just went where ever they wanted. The owner didn't care. Ripped out the carpet and let some industrial ozone machines run for a couple days and the order that wasnt even tolerable to the human nose before now was almost gone. If I can find a way to get one to work in a large tupperware container I'll buy one.

Buy a cheap one on amazon or ebay set up to ozonate water. Run the hole into the lid and let er rip. If is a tight seal you'll obviously need a bleeder hole.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:39 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I've been playing around with one a lot that last couple months. I'm not sold on it. I set it up in the backyard the other day upwind of where I expected deer to cross my back field. I set it just off a well used atv trail and stood on the atv to hang it. I went back to the house and observed with binoculars. About an hour and half later a doe and two fawns got downwind of the ozonics. The doe immediately locked up. Stomped for few minutes and eventually snorted and took off I can only conclude that the ozone smell was startling.

I plan to try something similar on an adjacent farm over the next couple of weeks.

I'd personally rather use activated carbon clothing in the woods.

I have a dumb question. I don't know anyone who has one so I have no clue on the subject. Does the ozone that's being emitted have a smell to it or is it odorless?

If it's not odorless and more and more people start buying and using these they will be less effective due to the deer being conditioned to associate them with humans.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:15 am

Wlog wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I've been playing around with one a lot that last couple months. I'm not sold on it. I set it up in the backyard the other day upwind of where I expected deer to cross my back field. I set it just off a well used atv trail and stood on the atv to hang it. I went back to the house and observed with binoculars. About an hour and half later a doe and two fawns got downwind of the ozonics. The doe immediately locked up. Stomped for few minutes and eventually snorted and took off I can only conclude that the ozone smell was startling.

I plan to try something similar on an adjacent farm over the next couple of weeks.

I'd personally rather use activated carbon clothing in the woods.

I have a dumb question. I don't know anyone who has one so I have no clue on the subject. Does the ozone that's being emitted have a smell to it or is it odorless?

If it's not odorless and more and more people start buying and using these they will be less effective due to the deer being conditioned to associate them with humans.

Ozone has an odor. You can smell it in the air after a thunderstorm. For this reason, most people say ozone smells like a "fresh rain"

Like many cover scents, I believe that deer can be conditioned to associate danger with elevated levels of any scent even if naturally occurring.

Ozone is tricky though as my current thinking suggests that elevated ozone significantly inhibits their ability to "drink in" the odor.

I'm going to play with it more tonight and tomorrow. This time with attractants.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:36 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I don't have to own one to know its pixie dust.

I agree, I don't think ozonics work in a hunting environment. I also said the compound bow was a pipe dream when it first came out. I said the mobile phones with the big bag would never take off. I said home computers were totally useless. I said trail cameras with film were almost useless.

I said $4700.00 an acre (neighbors ground) was way too much for farm ground in 2006, now worth $10.000 an acre. When ATVs first came out I thought, how worthless are these machines. They turned out to be one of the best tools/toys a lot of guys can have. Those little machines are next to amazing and useful.

I am starting to realize my opinion is next to worthless on a lot of things. :oops: :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Super goat

Unread postby Super goat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I use to work construction and did a lot of work on burn houses. They would generally set up two big ozone machines in these houses to get the char smell out of the houses. I did help but you could still smell the chared smell just not as strong and usually they wanted to keep the houses closed up for the ozone machines to do there job. Now I myself don't remember smelling ozone really and definitely don't remember smelling fresh rain. I did close my self up in a bathroom to put a faucet on and I will say the ozone machine made me very sick. So don't let that happen to you. Now I have not used ozonics but like industrial machines in a closed house it helped remove some chared smell but not all. I'm still don't know how in an open environment it could work. But who knows if you feel it gives you an advantage and are confident in it. It prolly will help you.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:32 am

Stanley wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:I don't have to own one to know its pixie dust.

I agree, I don't think ozonics work in a hunting environment. I also said the compound bow was a pipe dream when it first came out. I said the mobile phones with the big bag would never take off. I said home computers were totally useless. I said trail cameras with film were almost useless.

I said $4700.00 an acre (neighbors ground) was way too much for farm ground in 2006, now worth $10.000 an acre. When ATVs first came out I thought, how worthless are these machines. They turned out to be one of the best tools/toys a lot of guys can have. Those little machines are next to amazing and useful.

I am starting to realize my opinion is next to worthless on a lot of things. :oops: :think:

AGAIN, looking for opinions from those that have used one. Thanks...

rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:33 am

Yes, the guys that have never used Ozone to remove odor (proven in the restoration industry for years) but are certain they know its a hoax are not to be taken seriously or as having a credible opinion on the matter in any way, shape or form. As I said, I dont take any of my units into the field, I only use them to deodorize gear/clothing at home and there is more than enough data to support that Ozone scent elimination is for real.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:54 am

No doubt they will deodorize clothes and gear, this has been proven. I am curious to see how they perform in the field by hunters that are using them.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but has anyone tried the below listed products??? I haven't tried them and thus am unable to have an opinion on them

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:04 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:No doubt they will deodorize clothes and gear, this has been proven. I am curious to see how they perform in the field by hunters that are using them.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but has anyone tried the below listed products??? I haven't tried them and thus am unable to have an opinion on them

I'll take a bottle of the Stanley's elixir. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:08 am

My guess is those products are not currently in production as they were tried and proven ineffective. :think:

Remember, its only a gimmick if you dont use it and the other guy does. It stops being a gimmick once you use it. ;)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:16 am

Last night I put out a two attractant set. I have good luck using this concentrated oil based apple scent for intentory in areas where baiting isn't allowed.

I set the Ozonics upwind of the first apple scent set and downwind of expected deer travel. About 70 yards farther up I set another apple scent set. Observed both from the distance at dusk.

Doe and two fawns came out as expected at dusk. When the doe got downwind of the ozonics apple set she put up her nose and started to drink it in. She did this for a minute, flicked her tail, and kept moving. She then got downwind of the clean apple set. She put up her nose briefly and walked straight into the set.

It isn't a perfect experiment, but I'm definitely starting to believe this unit is temporarily jamming their sense of smell.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”