early season water source hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

early season water source hunting.

Unread postby Zap » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:53 am

Here in the first 30 days of season the average temps will be 80's maybe more on a few days.

How often would a buck go straight to the nearest water source when he gets up at the end of daylight?

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: early season water source hunting.

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Good question. I found a new spot with bedding less than 200 yards from a high water source in Hill country. Both water and bedding are the same elevation. For this instance a buck should come in first but I am guessing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I'm in Southern WI, and I have 3 waterholes on my property. I do not notice much action at these waterholes, until about the first week of October. I have heard until then, they get plenty of water off the vegetation, from the dew at night. Seems to make sense to me anyway.

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Wouldn't this greatly depend on the diet at the time; whether he is eating a food with lots of moisture or a dry type?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:03 pm

IMO depends on the bedding. I've seen them head directly to water from hill country points. However, I think this is the exception. Most bedding areas have browse near by. Green browse in 75 - 90% water. They get a lot of water by eating.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:34 am

From what I've noticed here in the deep South, is that most buck beds that are used with any regularity are bedded within sight distance of water if not right adjacent to it. The "best" spots seem to be those hidden springs that feed into small creeks that don't show up on maps; with that being said I have yet to find a water source near a buck bed that offered any possible stand sites. Most of the time a "good" buck bed will be within 50 yards of a water source, if not closer.

I think I remember reading in one of Greg Miller's books where he stated that bucks will drink as they wake up and before they sleep. I could be making this up but I recall hearing this somewhere else which could explain as to why we don't see bucks frequently visiting watering holes... Because they're near the bucks bed. It makes sense because watering holes are a good ambush spot for predators and hunters, so a mature buck will opt for a secluded area to drink versus a heavily traveled area.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my take on it
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:03 am

Early season water source hunting close to bedded bucks can be very dynamic and productive. The keys are knowing the location of each, the water source and the buck bedding.

The Michigan youth hunt opens in late September- a good friend of mine, one of the most accomplished hunters I know, set up his young son to hunt just such a spot last fall. He had located a buck bedding area on a knob on the side of hill. At the bottom of the hill and off to the side a bit was a creek, and the watering spot always had a rub or two right next to the creek (tracks & droppings too). There were old rubs from previous years and a couple of brand new rubs as well. On the other side of the creek another hillside rose up, which is where they set up. They were fairly confident they were off the side of the bedding knob enough that prevailing winds and thermals would not give them away to the bedded bucks (yes, I said bucks as in plural). A good buck came in shortly after first light to get a drink before going up to the bedding area and it didn't present a shot. They were disappointed but stuck with the spot. That evening, before dark, a different buck came down from the bedding to grab a drink out of the creek, a gross 140" typical 12 point (net in 130"s) that the young hunter knocked down with ease.

That is a good buck for that area, and water source hunting was the key... very close to buck bedding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am

I have seen them work awesome, and not work so well, and there are some specific reasons early season water sources work...

#1 IS LACK OF HUMAN SCENT...
You can't go near it unless your hunting it, and that means only 2 or 3 times a year. If you have to fill the water hole, you set and check cameras at the water holes, or your neighbors dog hangs out at the water hole, they just ain't going to go there unless they need too.

#2 IS PLACEMENT...
It has to be near the bedding and in a direction he wants to go. And within 200 yards of the beds.

#3 IS COVER...
It needs to be thick all the way up to the water from the bed...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:41 am

I kind of thought on really hot dry years water holes would attract bucks automatically. It really hasn't proven to be like that. The cameras I run on water holes have very few bucks visiting in July, August, September. These are the hot months. Then in October when the weather cools down bucks start to visit much more frequently. :think:

I have a camera out as we speak on one of my favorite water holes. Haven't checked it this year and won't until October. This has been a cooler wet year. I would bet the buck activity will hold true though. Buck activity picking up in October, November. I also agree a water hole must have the right ingredients to be good. Seclusion, cover, lack of human activity. As far as buck bedding goes an established water hole is different than one a guy puts into place.

The bucks could be bedding in an area with an established water hole because of the water hole location. This is not the case with a water hole placed into the area of a buck that is bedding there. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:12 am

The bucks could be bedding in an area with an established water hole because of the water hole location. This is not the case with a water hole placed into the area of a buck that is bedding there.

Thats a good point Stan... I try to put a water hole in during spring, and put it in as close to the bed as possible right between bed and food. The best ones have always been off of bedding points right at the top of the draw. Every buck heading up to food goes past the water and if set up right stages there till dark. But if its ever over hunted or human scent is in there to often it can take a long time to get back to normal... I have seen the most buck activity on water holes during the rut, but they can be awesome opening week in Wisconsin.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:27 am

Stanley wrote:I kind of thought on really hot dry years water holes would attract bucks automatically. It really hasn't proven to be like that. The cameras I run on water holes have very few bucks visiting in July, August, September. These are the hot months. Then in October when the weather cools down bucks start to visit much more frequently. :think:

Is this because the water content of forbes decreases as winter approaches?

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am

If it is heating up during the rut is that because they are using it to check for hot does? Find the water source the does are using?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 am

BigCedarJack wrote:If it is heating up during the rut is that because they are using it to check for hot does? Find the water source the does are using?

I think they over heat chasing does and cruising.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:42 pm

BigCedarJack wrote:If it is heating up during the rut is that because they are using it to check for hot does? Find the water source the does are using?

I've done this before and had some success... Had a doe with her fawn still with her in November which drew in a young spike but I never got eyes on any bucks much larger. I think this was because the spot I was hunting was too open for a mature buck to cruise during daylight rut or not.. that or I just got unlucky that day.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Dan.

Do you think in your water hole setup that the buck would stage there whether there was water or not?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”